• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Topping out at about 90mph

Assuming no converter slip, with a torque-flite trans.......the engine rpm in 2nd is 1.45 times what it is in 3rd.
Which is also what the images in the above post show.

Something the OP could try to test the “stuck in 2nd gear” theory is......... leave shift lever in 2nd and see if the indicated RPM /speed is the same or not.

Thought id update the thread, im almost 100% sure that my trans is slipping. Last night i drove the car and under full throttle shift from 2 to 3rd and trans missed 3rd. Pulled pan again and now have more junk in it than before. Will pull the trans and update.

Now you know.
621324-cc72050f8adef745be178444ed578275.jpg

After fixing trans make sure you have kickdown linkage adjusted properly.

Im not so sure i would trust that full manual valve body much. (I have nothing against a rmvb, ive got three of them)

Just need to learn how to drive with one. I like mine but would not recommend it for everyone.

Thought id update the thread, im almost 100% sure that my trans is slipping. Last night i drove the car and under full throttle shift from 2 to 3rd and trans missed 3rd. Pulled pan again and now have more junk in it than before. Will pull the trans and update.

Do you know/remember, what was the speed and rpm just before the shift to 3rd?

Just want to punch it into the calculator, and see what it says.... wanna see if 2nd is roughly where it should be...

Good luck with this. I hope it is something simple and not to expensive to resolve.

Clearly not a rear gear or tire height issue at that RPM levels at only 90 MPH? Sounds like trans slipping or converter failure.

Auto Transport Service
Back