• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Topping out at about 90mph

That you'd be nuts enough to run a '56 wagon up to 127 tells me a lot about you. :)
Actually it's been there a couple of times. The first time I was 10 years old with my grandfather. My dad was justice of the peace back then and my grandfather wanted to see how fast it would go, so dad got the state troopers to setup a speed trap on a main highway close to where we lived. The second time was about 5 years ago when I got it woke up from it's nap where it had sat since 1974. Only 72,*** miles since new. Had a couple of local city police block a 2 mile straightaway off for about 5 minutes and clock it. And yes I'm probably a little on the crazy side, but haven't slowed down much with a good accelerator under my right foot.

Actually it's been there a couple of times. The first time I was 10 years old with my grandfather. My dad was justice of the peace back then and my grandfather wanted to see how fast it would go, so dad got the state troopers to setup a speed trap on a main highway close to where we lived. The second time was about 5 years ago when I got it woke up from it's nap where it had sat since 1974. Only 72,*** miles since new. Had a couple of local city police block a 2 mile straightaway off for about 5 minutes and clock it. And yes I'm probably a little on the crazy side, but haven't slowed down much with a good accelerator under my right foot.
NO FEAR!

Damn, y'all must be suuum-body to get the cops to play along with you like that! :thumbsup:

Naaa, if I told what I know he couldn't run for dog catcher. :):)

Try power braking and check the stall. If the rpms slowly keep climbing the converter is toast. Been there on one before.

Jerry Haul!

You ought to be good to 130-140. I know ,these speedos probably aren't that accurate at that fast.

Forget about the converter and tranny slippage and all that malarkey.

Here is my solution....
  1. Cut the damn carpet out of the driver side so that the pedal goes all the way to the floor.
  2. Make sure that you have FULL travel on the throttle linkage on the carb. If it doesn't get full travel, your loud pedal will not go fiull distance, therefore not attain maximum speed.
Problem solved.
:welcome:

Forget about the converter and tranny slippage and all that malarkey.

Here is my solution....
  1. Cut the damn carpet out of the driver side so that the pedal goes all the way to the floor.
  2. Make sure that you have FULL travel on the throttle linkage on the carb. If it doesn't get full travel, your loud pedal will not go fiull distance, therefore not attain maximum speed.
Problem solved.
:welcome:
But he's at 6,500 rpm at 90. It can't be a throttle travel issue.

But he's at 6,500 rpm at 90. It can't be a throttle travel issue.
I don't see where the OP says his Tachometer is verified for accuracy?
65mph at 4,000RPM tells me that it's a factory tach, and those things can be a wild as a bucking bronco.

I don't see where the OP says his Tachometer is verified for accuracy?
65mph at 4,000RPM tells me that it's a factory tach, and those things can be a wild as a bucking bronco.
He said it was an aftermarket tach (post #38). Maybe it's on a 4 or 6 cylinder setting (as someone suggested).

Auto Transport Service
Back