• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans not kicking down/Bouchillon KDC

69'Net

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
I have a Bouchillon kickdown cable on my 727/440 with holley avenger carb. I'm fairly certain I have everything installed correctly. The trans doesnt kick down unless I come to a complete stop. I currently have the valve lever completely open with full throttle on the carb. I tried it at eighth inch increments looser as well. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong? The transmission was just completely rebuilt.

sounds like a problem inside the trans, the tighter the cable the higher the rpm shift points

Does the kick down lever move with the throttle? If you crack the throttle, the KD should move too. If it doesn't, you'll have problems with shifting correctly.

Yes, they move together when I crack the throttle. After messing with it last night I decided to open the throttle all the way up and move the kick down back as tight as I could get it (making the valve lever bottom out almost before I'm at full throttle). It will now kick down into second when I stab the throttle at cruising speed. It still don't feel it down shifts like it should though when I casually slow down. If I slow down under 25 mph, it will stay in third unless I come to a complete stop. Maybe that's normal I don't know? I hope its not the trans, I had it rebuilt by a shop almost 6 months before I put my engine in.

Auto Transport Service
Back