• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TUNNEL RAM W/ 2 4 BARREL CARBS FOR THE STREET

I'm not seeing "way simpler"

Where is your throttle return spring? Using the bellcrank it will be in the stock location using the stock bracket.

To use the cable you suggest he will have to fab the cable bracket. If using the bellcrank the stock cable bracket can be used.

Its obvious why you're not using the bellcrank - you can't! But it's a simple system on a standard tunnel ram that's been in use for over 50 years - and works - and
I'm not seeing "way simpler"

Where is your throttle return spring? Using the bellcrank it will be in the stock location using the stock bracket.

To use the cable you suggest he will have to fab the cable bracket. If using the bellcrank the stock cable bracket can be used.

Its obvious why you're not using the bellcrank - you can't! But it's a simple system on a standard tunnel ram that's been in use for over 50 years - and works - and is included in the kit
So will the mount that holds the bell crank be at the correct angle and bolt spacing? Then what do you mount the factory cable? With the stock ugly bracket? Then you have the ugly bell crank and additional junk hanging down the side of the intake. Now take time to mess with the geometry to allow full throttle. Trust me I've been down that road. Thats why I thought for awhile how to make everything simpler and cleaner. It took one simple bracket to hold the cable at the carb. I trimmed the end of the threaded portion from the pedal end of the cable and used a thinnut. You don't think that is easy?. As for throttle return springs. When it was first done 2 of the lid screws provided a spot for them. But as it turned out they weren't needed. The 4 throttle shaft springs are more than enough. To your second statement about the bell crank. Mine is the only of of these intakes currently in use in N/SS that doesn't use one. Why not post up a picture of your tunnel ram linkage?
Doug

I street drive my Challenger with a 528" and a tunnel ram with dual 1050 Dominators with no issues.

My advice to you is GO FOR IT!!
After some debate as to the feasibility and drivability aspects of making the change I decided to take off the Sniper FI system and go with a dual quad / tunnel ram set up on my 512. We are running pretty much the same cam, I have stealth heads and TTI Headers and Exhaust with an X pipe. I kept my electric fuel pump from my sniper system and just got a different regulator.
No I had no issues with the sniper system, it performed like advertised. Full discloser I wanted the look of the dual quads, it was an easy swap to install the tunnel ram redo some wiring and get it fired up. I am truly amazed at how easy the start up is, I tap the pedal twice crank it over and its running. (Yes even when its hot out.) Sitting in traffic and town driving has not been an issue. I do have to say that it took a few hours of tinkering with the accelerator pumps and throttle plate adjustments to get things running good and i will also admit that i still have a small hesitation when i stomp on it and go WOT from an idle but with the 4 speed it is easy to compensate for it (I would think with your stall it would never be an issue.) Over all I am very happy and the Smiles per Mile have increased 10 fold! I spend more time waving and giving thumbs up at 25 mph vs going 130mph+
My intake set up is dual Holley 4160 (450cfm) Weiand Tunnel ram, Lokar Midnight Series Throttle Cable, I got it all just clicking away on Summit no problem.
Good Luck you will enjoy it!

I have had people ask about the 450cfm carbs, I used the carb calculator from holley (Carburetors Since 1903 - Holley.com) that based on really wanting the everyday drivability aspect have really liked my choice. No loading up issues at all in stop and go traffic, For my use I will never see any power loss associated with my choice.

carsh.jpg

DQ1 (2).jpg

DQ6.jpg

DQA.jpg

sidepos.jpg

Last edited:
I've daily driven my 383 4 speed for years and years with a tunnel ram, all over, everywhere, all types of weather, extremely well behaved and reliable.

Full rebuild, aluminum heads, blah blah blah, first with 390 vac sec on a tunnel ram, then a single 750 dp, then 600 vac sec on a tunnel ram, then efi.
Single 750 was snappier than the 390s at go, I didn't really care for the 390s anyway, 600s were better than both, as in get up and go better and kept going, very technical description, I know.
Efi is by far the best, the throttle bodies are gigantic, they all open at once, zero hesitation, starts immediately in any temperature.
Also, the efi return springs are part of the tbs, pay attention carb manufacturers.

Liked trs so much, I did it twice.

Linkage, imo don't bother spending big dollars on linkage, made my own for dirt cheap with quality parts.
After realizing there's only one direct inline setup made and it's garbage, I made my own with readily available parts:
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...line-linkage-homemade.469142/#post-1973070075

20230601_191406.jpg

So will the mount that holds the bell crank be at the correct angle and bolt spacing? Then what do you mount the factory cable? With the stock ugly bracket? Then you have the ugly bell crank and additional junk hanging down the side of the intake. Now take time to mess with the geometry to allow full throttle. Trust me I've been down that road. Thats why I thought for awhile how to make everything simpler and cleaner. It took one simple bracket to hold the cable at the carb. I trimmed the end of the threaded portion from the pedal end of the cable and used a thinnut. You don't think that is easy?. As for throttle return springs. When it was first done 2 of the lid screws provided a spot for them. But as it turned out they weren't needed. The 4 throttle shaft springs are more than enough. To your second statement about the bell crank. Mine is the only of of these intakes currently in use in N/SS that doesn't use one. Why not post up a picture of your tunnel ram linkage?
Doug
Talk about getting put in yer place! Is there an echo in here?

Auto Transport Service
Back