• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TV and Movie locations near your home . . .

Sorry,, haven’t figured out how to minimize these pics

Clint Eastwood's movie Bridges of Madison County was shot about 25 miles from where I lived. I played in a traveling pool league that played at the bar that was in the movie. The "Blue Note"

I almost forgot. Classic "Night of the Living Dead" filmed less than 20 miles from where I grew up.
I think the year was 1967.

This is not too terribly far from me.

It's been in several films, most notably "Edward Scissorhands".

southgate-shopping-center-shannon-scott.jpg

Up to about 10 years ago, in that back corner at the end of the walkway next to the sushi bar, was a model shop with a fairly good selection of 1/25th scale cars.
I see the sign is still there in this pic.

I almost forgot. Classic "Night of the Living Dead" filmed less than 20 miles from where I grew up.
I think the year was 1967.

"Dawn of the Dead" was filmed near where I grew up (PA). I don't think I've ever watched it though.

Clint Eastwood's movie Bridges of Madison County was shot about 25 miles from where I lived. I played in a traveling pool league that played at the bar that was in the movie. The "Blue Note"
Hogback Bridge is at the bottom of the hill next to a farmer we built machinery for. We harvested a flower field right next to the bridge in the film and periodically ate at the Cafe/bar in town. I tried watching the movie...kept falling a sleep...not exactly like watching Dirty Harry!
Screenshot_20201130-130126_Chrome.jpg

Living in New York 100s of movies filmed close by. The Warriors, Goodfellas and Eraser were all very close by. My friends and I were extras on the opening of the Warriors. They paid us $60 each

eraser-arnold-schwarzenegger-vanessa-williams.jpg warriors.jpg goodfellas.jpg

The restaurant scene in Mrs. Doubtfire was filmed in the town where I live.

The Hulk movie that came out in the 90s was filmed at my old work (Lawrence Berkeley Lab) and my building was in one of the scenes. The scene where the giant ball comes crashing out of the wall onto a police car was my building (ouch!). lol It was interesting to see how they imploded the roof of the car. I'm not very movie oriented so don't know much behind the scenes. But at some point I was talking to a lady as they were filming and she was filling me on on the details and introducing me to the special effects guy (after I saw the police car setup and figured out what they were doing). It was a nice conversation until I said "I didn't get your name...." At that point she crossed her arms, went from happy to looks could kill and said Gail Hurd. She was the producer. Yeah, I know, who?? Good 'ol Hollywood. I guess I was supposed to know who she was? Excuuuuuuse me.

I worked on a recent movie about Bruce Lee called Birth of The Dragon in SF Chinatown. My buddies 62 Unibody made the trailer with him driving. That was a fun gig and my time was spent driving vintage cars in background scenes. My 25 pico seconds of fame came as a blue 62 Corvair convertible pulls up and stops abruptly. That was my stunt driving! Where were all the other scenes? A highlight was chatting with Jing Jing Qu on the set at Twin Peaks. Yeah, who? Drop dead gorgeous Chinese actress that was a main character and who is quite famous in China. We had something in common. Our families were from the same city in China and I even impressed her with my limited Mandarin. Being I'm not Chinese she was just as confused as being impressed. Then some actor (token white guy in Chinese movies) saw us chatting and wrangled her off. Hmmmm. No tickey no laundry! Fortunately I got a couple of good pics of her and of me chatting with her before she was taken away. Right after that some lady came up to me and very sternly said "do not post those pics on social media." Good 'ol Hollywood again.

After that gig I worked for the same guy who supplied the cars on a TV movie set in the Castro. I'll just say what I saw those few days made me never ever ever want to go to the Castro again.

IMG_3302 (Large).JPG IMG_3316 (Large).JPG IMG_3320.JPG IMG_3321.JPG

Guthrie, Oklahoma. Literally, hundreds of features and shorts have been filmed there. It has been 1890s-1920s Brooklyn, Baltimore, OKC, and more; plus a backdrop for more modern times. I have been in at least 12 films that shot there.

And, I've had vehicles in six films and one short.

I recently started working at a Netflix studio. Its been interesting to see how stuff gets done. Most of their shows are filmed in 6 months. So a giant warehouse goes from completely empty to having all the sets built, then all the filming done and torn back down to a completely empty warehouse in 6 months.
After a show is done they have a big garage sale.
They are currently filming 2 shows there now, (I forget the names).

Scenes from the Deer Hunter were filmed near here in Mingo Junction,Ohio, and other movies have used Pittsburgh.

To add to 64bel's post about Milwaukee movies, parts of Public Enemy city scenes were filmed in the city's historic 3rd ward. This was once a warehousing district and was renovated to retail, cafe's, apartments, and condos keeping the old buildings - architecture. Pricy real estate and some sections you'd think you were in a time warp. Cool area.
Part of The Blues Brother's movie was filmed here - we had a freeway bridge to nowhere for some years part of conflicts with expanding and routing the system.
upload_2020-12-1_10-3-17.png

upload_2020-12-1_10-3-35.png

Here in Downey, Johnie's Broiler now a Bobs Big Boy.

Bob Dylan's music video "Things Have Changed" (2000) was filmed at Johnie's Broiler.

One Hour Photo, a 2002 motion picture directed by Mark Romanek, used Johnie's as the coffee shop where the Robin Williams' character has his meals. The illuminated outdoor neon sign is seen at the beginning of the first coffee shop scene.

The Beach Boys – An American Family, a 2000 ABC-TV movie, used Johnie's as an authentic location depicting life in 1960s Los Angeles, complete with vintage hot rods and roadsters.

The X-Files – Johnie's posed as a bus station for a 1999 episode

Falcon Crest's 1988 episode "Rescue Me"

License to Drive (1988), as "Archie's Atomic Drive-In"

What's Love Got to Do with It (1993), as the coffee shop where the fight scene occurred between Ike & Tina Turner

Can't Hardly Wait (1998), with a crane shot showing an aerial view of Johnie's and the Fat Boy

Jawbreaker (1999)

Unstrung Heroes (1995)

Midnight Madness (1980)

Reality Bites (1994)

Short Cuts

Sean Kingston's music video "Beautiful Girls"

Jon B's music video "They don't know"

Madonna's music video "What It Feels Like For A Girl"

Goodie Mob's music video "What It Ain't (Ghetto Enuff)" featuring R&B trio TLC

The Country Bears

My Stepmother Is An Alien

Riot (1997)

Matchstick Men

Heat (1995)

The Game (1997)

Mission: Impossible 2

Bounce, in the scene where Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Affleck exit the restaurant

Rock group Staind's music video "For You" was partially filmed at Johnie's Broiler. The video includes interior and exterior shots of the original diner.

Mad Men – portions of the 2010 season finale were filmed at the newly restored restaurant, now known as "Bob's Big Boy Broiler".

Earth Girls Are Easy

Superdrag music video for "Sucked Out"

She's Out of Control

To add to 64bel's post about Milwaukee movies, parts of Public Enemy city scenes were filmed in the city's historic 3rd ward. This was once a warehousing district and was renovated to retail, cafe's, apartments, and condos keeping the old buildings - architecture. Pricy real estate and some sections you'd think you were in a time warp. Cool area.
Part of The Blues Brother's movie was filmed here - we had a freeway bridge to nowhere for some years part of conflicts with expanding and routing the system.
View attachment 1034402
View attachment 1034403

Here's the Milwaukee freeway to nowhere scene.

Living in New York 100s of movies filmed close by. The Warriors, Goodfellas and Eraser were all very close by. My friends and I were extras on the opening of the Warriors. They paid us $60 each

View attachment 1034243

My brother graduated HS with the girl in The Warriors - Deborah Van Valkenburgh. Shaker High - Latham NY class of '70.
Warriors.jpeg

I really didn’t care for the movie but Stephen King’s “The Langoliers”

Many scenes filmed right at Bangor International Airport about 5 miles from my house. Not to mention I was stationed there at the time.

went to high school and have a business in Irving Texas. They filmed Walker Texas Ranger in Irving. Film crew and Mr Norris himself came in to eat one time. Kinda cool

Auto Transport Service
Back