• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacation Planning on the West Coast

mccoymail

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
Looking for some info from the guys on the west coast for a little vacation planning.
Looking to take the family (Me, the boss and 2 teens) to the west coast for vacation this year. I did this trip as a kid with the parents and we drove from San Diego to Seattle with 2 weeks and no plan. I'm a little more **** than that now and would like at least a rough plan.

The girls want to go to LA for a day or two. Just simple sight seeing. Was thinking of hitting Universal Studios, walk of fame (shame), etc.

Would like to drive up to San Fran (I remember that being a haul) to see the golden gate, piers, Alcatraz, maybe play a little Bullitt with the rental car.

Then up to see some redwoods.

If time allows, another long haul to Oregon and Mt St Helens.

So, any ideas or recommendations from you guys? How far can I realistically get in say 10 days without overdoing it? I'll be flying in to one city and out of another.

Let's hear it!

Thanks

My family enjoyed the la brea tar pits last year. It nicely broke up the disneyland vacation. Went to this burger joint across the street from the pits-probably the best meal I had down there.

Wife and I took a trip out to the Bay area before the kids crashed the party. We really enjoyed Skyline Drive from Santa Cruz up to the Bay but we also drove up US-1 along the coast too and are glad we didn't miss that drive as well.

There is an old military base area on the north side of the Bay bridge overlooking the coast which I recommend as well. Some of the most beautiful country I have seen in my lifetime for sure.

Monterrey Bay is nice too for the aquarium if the kids are into that. Just too much to see out there.

When in SFO you should see (if not drive) Lombard street.
If you like seafood, Fishermans Warf is a must.

Whatever you plan, plan on spending a $h!tload of $$$ as nothing is cheap in that state! From a bottled water to esp. a gallon of gas, better yet, take out a second mortgage on the house, and always, ALWAYS be checking your 6 for some illegal Wetback lookin for a quick score of some kind!

Before you leave San Fran I recommend b-fast at the Hollywood cafe. Get there early to avoid the lines. The food is great and the portions are usually enough for 2. Cant beat the price either. After breakfast head out to the Muir woods and take the coast if you can to Oregon. Considering Mt St Helens was off limits for most of my life, even when I worked and lived in Wash. state. I think that would be on the top of my list. Been to LA a couple of times for work , not much there that made me want to go back. Be prepared for the drive north. There is a whole lot of nothing on I5 between Metro LA and San Fran.

Actually it looks like it would have been the Golden Gate National Rec area and Muir Woods. There were many old cement pads on the peaks of the hills for guns protecting the coast, cement bunkers in the hillsides and numerous walking trails everywhere.

We are more into the natural areas and for the most part stayed away from the city. We did have an awesome lunch in Sausalito though. Wish we could have travel on farther up the coast.

Whatever you plan, plan on spending a $h!tload of $$$ as nothing is cheap in that state! From a bottled water to esp. a gallon of gas, better yet, take out a second mortgage on the house, and always, ALWAYS be checking your 6 for some illegal Wetback lookin for a quick score of some kind!
That's why we stayed away from San Fran. Honestly looked pretty dirty. That awesome sandwich I had in Sausalito I remember ran me $35 (lump crab) and yeah we could tell we were way out of our league. We also noticed there were almost no places to stay overnight in the pricey clean areas around the Bay.

You have to visit one of the wonders of the world when in SF. Stu's MPM clubhouse

What you have planned already is perfect and with the drive time involved you'll eat up a good portion of your 10 days. You can and will blow an entire day one Warf in San Fran. Alcatraz is fun, and always cold so be prepared for that. Parking is a **** show so plan to blow $40 for that alone in SF. Universal Studios will be another whole day in itself and is a good choice. Stop here in Pismo Beach and get a Hummer ride out in the dunes or rent ATV's for a couple hours.

Got to see redwoods the valley of the giants its pretty amazing if your going up the coast gold beach Oregon has the mail boat tours its a blast the whole coast is awesome for a road trip use to go every year on the Harley’s

Thanks all for the hints. It's been 30+years since I've been there so my memory is questionable on the timeframes involved. Keep the suggestions flowing.

You have to visit one of the wonders of the world when in SF. Stu's MPM clubhouse

Man, we really need to get that man on board over here, then this would be a really fun place!

Mt St Helens but check what going on there first. Is visitors center open? Was there in 1999. This maybe old fogey-ish AAA travel guides were very helpful when wife and me traveled west coast. 3500 miles in 2 weeks and no bitchin kids. 2 years earlier with bitchin 12/15 year olds only 2500 miles. LasVegas ,Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Santa Barbara, redwoods Lake Tahoe and Death Valley back to Vegas.

If you go through Oregon the best fish and chips are in a restaurant that looks like a ship in Astoria and the best swap meet on the West coast is in Portland April 6,7,8.

The Santa Monica Pier and boardwalk is neat.

Buena Park has Knott's Berry Farm. It's a great little theme park that isn't quite as busy or nearly as expensive as Disney.

Shoreline Village, Aquarium of the Pacific, and the Queen Mary are all in Queen's Bay in Long Beach.

We used to drive up the coast to Palo Alto to visit my grandmother when I was young. If you aren't pressed for time, the only way to go is up Hwy 1 or 101 or a combination of both. Some cool things to see and nice stops after you get out of LA are Solvang, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, The Winchester House, Hearst Castle, Big Sur/17 mile drive, Carmel-By-The-Sea, and Monterey Bay. All are very scenic and have cool little things to do. Even hitting most of these stops, you can make it from LA to SF in just a couple days.

I've only been north of San Fran a couple of times, but the glass beach near Fort Bragg and the redwoods on the coast are pretty cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back