• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are shock adjustments worth? watch here

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
Chased my tail for about 6 weeks. I thought I had a handle on sorting out suspension. Well I learned that I needed even more of an education. Dialed up the magic knobs (again) and let it loose. Went from 3 60 fts on Friday that varied from 1.294-1.383 to 5 60 fts on Saturday that only varied from 1.290-1.302. Low 9 second runs on 10.5 tires with a foot brake. Watch here at 1:30 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5etiQ4h5ncA
Don't give up when it doesn't work. The solution is there!
Doug

I need to go to test n tune to play with my magic knobs. Think I'm going to Island on Friday just for my 60 ft. Times. I have been anywhere from 1.57 to 1.63. I want a little more consistency.

Doug,

What are you cranking on, Rebound or Compression? And how much cranking on one before it starts to effect the other.

Thanks

Always just been rebound in the rear. Did some Go-Pro attached to the trunk pan and found the housing bouncing.Then went WAY to far in compression trying to stop the bounce. A slight tightening of the original rebound and compression settings straightened it out. The car is 300lbs nose heavy. The front shocks are full tight in compression and 75% tight in rebound. There's still more in it. The front will go tighter yet. I think it can go consistent 1.25-1.26. It has already been 1.260. The front doesn't need to be super loose or super light if you have enough power.
Doug

I'm 7 clicks compression and 4 clicks rebound and I always hook in the 65 dodge and 65 Plymouth.
My 63 Plymouth has cheap front shocks and I think its hurting my 60 foot. I never should have went with 4.10's in my 63 but my ET and mph improvement was huge. I sacrificed my 60 foot, I just don't make enough power like the other 2 cars. I'm no way close to what this car should be 60 footing with a ladder bar setup.

Attachments

• ISLAND NENDRA 6.26.11 003.jpg
    ISLAND NENDRA 6.26.11 003.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 307
Chased my tail on my first ladder bar car. Lowering the rear helped but after nothing else fixed the issue totally, I finally set things in the rear back to my starting point and ended up going tighter on front shock rebound and that did the trick.

OK this is what I've learned. A few weeks ago we went out to T/T. Track was so so. 1.32-1.35 60 fts car ran low 9.30's. When we saw the housing bouncing on the video we thought the logical step was to tighten compression on the rear. The first movement of the axle housing will ALWAYS be downward. So the goal was to keep the housing from bouncing back up. Went back out on race day. I made the change, it still came up, I tightened even more, no help. Spent the day in the 1.40's. So on to the next step. It's still spinning so I raise the ladder bar to hit the tire harder. Housing still bounces car can't even make it to the 330 mark, 1.45 60 ft. Disgusted as I have a set of Holley's replacing the Eddy's, it should be quicker. Listening that it is the carbs, bar location, tires, etc. I order new tires. Put the bars back in the middle hole. First hit 1.26 60 ft. Eureka, it's fixed, no quite so fast. goes 1.27, 1.35,1.28, 1.29. I throw out the 1.35 assuming it's something on the track, wrong. Onward to the Quaker City Mopar race. Numbers are not great as I'm deep staging running the .400 tree. Hooks OK until the final. Fortunately my opponent is broke. It kills the tires to the 330, but I get the win. Day 2, loosen the front trying to get it to pitch rotate back, no help but we go to the final again. This time not so lucky. Kills the tires, car misses the dial by .20. I blame it on hot track temp, 140 degrees, wrong. On to the Northern Class nationals. First hit is what you see in the video, then garbage. That afternoon we start to look back. Maybe that Friday T/T wasn't as bad as we thought. Maybe I have the rebound to loose allowing the housing to hit the tire to hard and the tire itself is bouncing, not the housing. We tighten the rebound on the Koni's to -5/12 from full tight. Go back to the old compression setting and add one click, now -9/12 from full tight. We dynoed this pair of Konis. They have a very tight compression range, thus the loose setting. Last year the car had QA-1 street shocks on the front set at -2/12 from full tight. It now has Afco doubles on the front. To simulate we run compression full tight to keep it stable from wheel stand. Loose rebound has never shown that it works well with this car. Yanks the front hard and then spins. So the front rebound is now at -30/40 from full tight. The results speak for themselves. Went back to back 9.17 in the heat. It has picked up .02 at 330 with consistent 60 ft. We went beyond the tuning window. Hit the tire WAY to hard and spun. Now that were back close a LITTLE adjustment at a time. There's more in it.
Doug

Thanks guys. That gives me a direction to go next year after we get our POS motor back together.

This is the first time I've messed with double adjustable shocks. We're running the Viking shocks. They have 18 positions. Right now I'm on 1 Compression and 12 Rebound which is the loosest settings of the base line they give you. I started to mess with them but un fortunately the motor had other idea's

Thanks guys. That gives me a direction to go next year after we get our POS motor back together.

This is the first time I've messed with double adjustable shocks. We're running the Viking shocks. They have 18 positions. Right now I'm on 1 Compression and 12 Rebound which is the loosest settings of the base line they give you. I started to mess with them but un fortunately the motor had other idea's

Kev, I would do 4 on the extention and 7 on the compression. These settings are from soft to stiff. This is the rear shocks i'm talking about.

front shocks 3 on extention and 12 on compression

I ran 11.22 last night with a 1.28 60ft.

If I understand the question the "label" being the printing. It's shock settings from full tight, 60ft, ET. Shocks are Afco doubles, 40 click adjustment, R=rebound or extension, C=compression. Is that what you are asking about?
Doug

If I understand the question the "label" being the printing. It's shock settings from full tight, 60ft, ET. Shocks are Afco doubles, 40 click adjustment, R=rebound or extension, C=compression. Is that what you are asking about?
Doug

Exactly!!

Auto Transport Service
Back