• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What damage can be done by leaving gas cap off?

So now that the engine is running fine, remove the gas cap again for a while and see what happens.

Try to re-create the condition now that you are safe at home.

So now that the engine is running fine, remove the gas cap again for a while and see what happens.

Try to re-create the condition now that you are safe at home.
I’m laughing at your avatar :lol:
Judging from that black fart cloud you’re running a bit rich lol.

I have so many other problems to solve/fix with this car I have no desire to try to re-create the condition.. i’m just thankful it’s running the way it was before the gas cap incident. Perhaps at a later date and time, I’ll experiment with leaving the cap off again (or if I forget to put it on again).

I will add that after I shut the engine off two weeks ago (with cap off), I heard some weird gurgling noises coming from the carburetor. I did not hear that today when I shut the engine off with cap in place.

Weird gurgling noises was probably a heat soaked carburetor and the gas was boiling. Today’s fuels suck and heat soak can be a problem. That’s why it’s running good now and you said it took a while to start, probably because the fuel pump had to fill the carb again with fuel. No gas cap on an old car with a carburetor will have zero effect on anything other than leaving a big fuel leak coming out the filler tube.

Weird gurgling noises was probably a heat soaked carburetor and the gas was boiling. Today’s fuels suck and heat soak can be a problem. That’s why it’s running good now and you said it took a while to start, probably because the fuel pump had to fill the carb again with fuel. No gas cap on an old car with a carburetor will have zero effect on anything other than leaving a big fuel leak coming out the filler tube.

Perhaps heat soak is what occurred 2 weeks ago.. I had been making several laps around the neighborhood. Then just prior to stopping to get gas I pulled into a elementary school parking lot to take some photos of the car. I left the engine idling while taking the photos so the Air Grabber scoop would be OPEN for the photos. The photo shoot session lasted about 4 or 5 minutes.

Then I drove the car only about 200 feet down the road to the gas station. I was stopped at the gas station for a good five minutes, because I was screwing around with adding ethanol treatment along with the gas to the tank. So five minutes of idling for the photo shoot, followed by shutting the engine off for five minutes at the gas station, may have started boiling the fuel that was in the carburetor..

Lousy gas, tires and reproduction parts just makes owning one of these cars more difficult and problematic than it was 25 to 35 years ago.

Because of my air grabber system, I may not be able to run the thick spacer he’s talking about between the intake manifold and carburetor.

Auto Transport Service
Back