• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what head gaskets are u using

stage3

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
hello,
I have an ex 1963 Plymouth bracket racer that im building a 426 wedge marine block up for using stage 3 max heads and intake,,11-1 max static comp with a solid roller that will give appx 8-1 dynamic comp ratio and am considering what head gaskets to use....don't want to use MLS because of the milling involved to get perfect surfaces on my virgin stage 3 castings...
am leaning towards the tried and true composition fel pro type units..any draw backs?

what do the racers use?nss?a/sa?anybody? the assembly is still at the machine shop so theres time to figure out whats best...

thanks guys..

Ive used the fel pro 1105 gaskets. My MW motor made 537 hp and 570 ft lbs, compression is right at 10.1 , dynamic compression is 7.84. I wouldve liked to use the 1009 gaskets, but my oem 518 heads I had a couple of spots where the fire ring was too close for my liking. Granted i lost some quench .011, the knock sensor didnt go off with vp 96 fuel.

In my 446" - 452" bracket motors I ran Fel Pro 1009 or the steel shim from Fel Pro or Mopar. My motors were 11.5 to 12.7 static compression ratio. Both worked well. You do need to keep an eye on the steel shims. They discolor between the middle cylinders, but never saw actual leakage. I always looked at the motors every 200 to 350 runs. My new builder favors Cometic.

you may be surprised at how reliable the old 8519 fel-pro is. the 8519 fire ring would be very safe in a 426.

I've even reused Fel-pro on 13-1 BB , no issue
Doug

you may be surprised at how reliable the old 8519 fel-pro is. the 8519 fire ring would be very safe in a 426.

O.P..........You should touch the surfaces of the virgin heads anyway to make sure they are flat.

But, I'm right here with lew, I use the 8519-PT1 head gaskets to 12:1 without failure. The little 'ol 451 went right to 787 HP with them at 11.7:1 compression.

Cosmetic is what I use now. I have used the 1009 fel pro for years. But I do think the 8519 should work just fine for your application. My 2 cents.

sounds like for my application the fel pro's r the way to go..which was the way I was leaning,,,read somewhere that they were not good for comp ratio's above 10.5 but that has been proved wrong!and with these rare unmolested parts I want to be careful..I bought the entire top end off of al corda's a/sa motor and these parts look great...espeasially the 3705 carbs which were still set up for racing......170 main jets!!!wow.

Like others, I also ran the Fel Pro 8519's occasionally. However the somewhat higher cost of the 1009's with the SS ring seems worth it. I should also mention an advantage of the Cometic's is the availability of multiple thickness's to allow more flexibility in compression ratios. Good luck with Al's stuff. He always ran real good.

I like the 8519s also, they have a bit bigger bore and there priced well

Been using Mr. Gasket 3233G - MLS Head Gaskets for 2 seasons now. Engine is 512 ld w/11.5 comp

I use the blue Fel-Pro also. My eng is 10.6 comp. Ron

[QUOTE="stage3, post: great...espeasially the 3705 carbs which were still set up for racing......170 main jets!!!wow.[/QUOTE]
.170" opening? The internal passages aren't even close that size. My 900hp 572 w generic 3705's only runs 110 secondary jets.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back