• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here remembers doing this?

worked pumping gas in 82...... still had them then...... a select few customers would receive an "air quart", so we could have beer money :drinks:

if they needed a quart, they got a real one and an empty one
if they were already full, they just get the empty

Dad should have taught them to always check their own oil

Last edited:
Yes. Pops still has a few of the cardboard cans in his shop. Made a mess when the cardboard folded while shoving the "dull" spout in. You had to remember to look for the sharp one.

Yes, and I still have one in the shop.

Yes, I remember. Does anyone remember hand pumping bulk oil out of a 50 gallon barrel into a glass quart jar, and then screwing a metal spout onto it, before pouring it into your engine?

Yes, still got a couple of the spouts and a few cans of unopened oil and transmission fluid.

Yes. First with Dad, then my own cars for a couple of years.

Yep, I was a Petroleum Transfer Engineer (pumped gas) in the early 80's and the oil companies started using the plastic cans. Loved it because I didn't have to deal with the spouts.

If you used to do this simply reply “YES”. Everyone else reply “?” because you probably just don’t know……
I am old enough to
remember these just before
they went to the paper cans.
1710485681718.png

worked pumping gas in 82...... still had them then...... a select few customers would receive an "air quart", so we could have beer money :drinks:

if they needed a quart, they got a real one and an empty one
if they were already full, they just get the empty

Dad should have taught them to always check their own oil
Getting boned either way lol

YES! And I still have a bunch, one or two still on the cardboard card in the shrink wrap! And the cans, Pathmark Supermarket brand ATF and American Motors Limited Slip oil some of which is in Max's SureGrip. But most of the time, at home, we used a "Church Key".

Auto Transport Service
Back