• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here remembers doing this?

Yes, starting in 1968 when I began doing oil changes on dad's Valiant.
1960 Valiant.jpg

no one else admits to selling someone an air quart? ....... you're all gonna leave me hanging out to dry on this one? :poke:

I am not a crook!

1710513639492.png

Yes, and I dumped my used oil down the storm drain on the corner 'cause I thought that was OK.

We also had one of these on the front porch at the time:

1710515539622.png

Last edited:
I worked at Rickel Home Center in Parsippany NJ in the early 80's and still sold quarts in cans. I still have 2 spouts from my first cars.

Had my oil spout up until recently but don't remember what I did with it....

no one else admits to selling someone an air quart? ....... you're all gonna leave me hanging out to dry on this one? :poke:
Didn't get the chance to sell any air quarts. I worked at a station with no bays and the owner thought I had a handle on pumping gas and left me there alone on the first day (which was fine with me) and then a pack of cars came in at the same time and didn't want a total fill up. The only time I asked for a buck of gas was when I wanted to mess with someone. After 'working' for 2 hours I said screw it, locked up and left. Heck, went back to mowing yards where I didn't have to deal with morons all day lol

Didn't get the chance to sell any air quarts. I worked at a station with no bays and the owner thought I had a handle on pumping gas and left me there alone on the first day (which was fine with me) and then a pack of cars came in at the same time and didn't want a total fill up. The only time I asked for a buck of gas was when I wanted to mess with someone. After 'working' for 2 hours I said screw it, locked up and left. Heck, went back to mowing yards where I didn't have to deal with morons all day lol
Now you have to deal with us! Bruuuuhaahahaahhaah

Now you have to deal with us! Bruuuuhaahahaahhaah
Was 13 when I got that gas jockey gig. At least the home owners stayed in the house while doing their yard....they usually closed the door before the lawn mower got started up and dealing with y'all isn't a daily thing plus this place is usually good for lots of laughs! :lol:

Wish I had a dollar for every can I stuck!
cash.gif

In the mid '70s I got a job working at a full service station. The manager had an empty can in the oil rack to use as a "dummy". He'd check the customers oil and tell them they needed a quart. He'd stick the dummy can, turn it upside-down in the valve cover and charge them for it.

One day the district manager stopped by and I told him to look in the oil rack for anything unusual. He took it from there. :thankyou:

On a trip to Needles CA in '69, taking Rt 66, went with a friend of my dad, Bill and his son in their '67 Riv. At one gas station the attendant checked the oil bringing the dipstick over to the window saying "Your a Quart low". Bill replied "Is that with or without, your thumb on the stick?"

I am not a crook!

View attachment 1628400
Never saw an instance of
"air quart", but do remember
"short stickin' the dipstick.
A few cars running around
back then with an extra
quart in them.

Auto Transport Service
Back