• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Was Your Childhood Hero?

I was adopted as an infant by a couple who could not have children. Must have been Mom's idea, because "Dad" is not my hero, he never related to us three adopted kids as a father (although I was named after him).

Recently in life, at the age of 58, I legally changed my name to a hero I admired later in life: Odysseus, the Greek King of Ithaca and Hero portrayed in the epic poem "The Odyssey" written by Homer.

Movie Trailer:

View attachment 693664

My Dad and I have seldomly been on the same page for anything. He doesn’t get, understand almost everything I’m into except he gets I’m into those things. There “My Thing.” And that’s OK by him. He just says go for it. What ever you like to do is for you to do. He is supportive. But not proactive. He commends when it is appropriate and offers constructive criticism when needed.

When I was a kid, he took me to my baseball games though he could t careless for the game. Things like this dot my growing up. And that’s OK by me.

As a dad, I just get into today’s video games. That’s the only thing me and my son don’t do togther.

Dad never so much as took me to a Giants game, had to go as a group of altar boys from the church. Saw Juan Marichal's high kicking windup, and of course, Mays and McCovey.

Dad never offered to take me to a movie, but I insisted we go see "2001 A Space Odyssey". Just a coincidence I guess that I changed my name to Odiseo (Spanish for Odysseus). After seeing the movie, Dad's only comment was "I don't get it."

I was bracket racing one or two times a week when I finished building up my '65 Valiant. Dad never showed up to support me. None of this affected me at the time, but looking back on it now, I see the pattern of disinterest in my personal life.

Last edited:
Bruce_Lee_Poster_-_Fight_Pose__75808.1489005104.1280.1280.jpg

My Dad, Korean Vet
Taught me how to hunt, fish, construction work, and be a simple honest Man.

Early on superman 1959 style ..later on Nolan Ryan ..saw him pitch a two hitter. Overwhelmed them, saw very few batters dig in at the plate. No smiles, no high fives, no BS just get them out. AND if you charge the mound, he will light you up!

gettyimages-76113400-1024x1024.jpg robin-ventura-nolan-ryan-fight-slide.png

I thought that my Dad was some kind of superhero but he was actually just a drunk guy wearing a cape.

Remember their names?
12685519063_c17b1eb678_z.jpg

Evel Knievel was my idol!

Carlton Fisk after seeing the 75 World Series as a young kid!

If you're talking non-fictional types, my dad and my father-in-law are at the top of my list. They were amazing guys and only wish I coulda learned more from them before they had to leave the planet. I miss being able to call them now and again for advice on one project or another. They weren't afraid to tackle any project and get it right and were always helpful to me. Both were so darn calm and collected never losing their tempers (like I've done on occasion...a trait from my dear mother). Now for fictional folks I was a big fan of Jim West (Wild Wild West). The so perfectly drummed up hero who always won and could fight 10 guys lol! Well he was an influence on me as a 90lb weakling akin to some bullying including from my older brother. When I entered high school started lifting weights and entered gymnastics for two years before going back to my 1st love...cars. I gained 50 lbs in high school like rock solid and one morning b4 school I had it out with my dear bro who tried to eff with me one time too many. I flipped him around a few times and he discovered not to eff with me more. I went to school looking ragged as he stretched out my sweater (well it was his I borrowed that pissed him off in the 1st place) it looked like it was a few sizes too big.

My father and older brothers and the 30 odd guys in the MC who helped to shape my thinking on so many things...
The MC would be a close second for me in general. They took the basics that my old man taught me and honed them.

Funny story about him:
I ended up sitting on his shoulders and he walked around the airport for a little while with me on top of the world (he was a big guy to me).
Hell, he was a Big Guy to everybody because he was a BIG GUY. LMAO

If you're talking non-fictional types, my dad and my father-in-law are at the top of my list.
I can relate to Dad but my father in law, while a nice enough guy, has to be one of the dumbest people I have ever met.

Auto Transport Service
Back