• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is automotive body paint so costly ?

You guys want to save a couple bucks ?
I know a guy.

Unless it's truly a translucent color like yellow, you can and should always achieve black and white coverage. Anything else and you simply don't have full coverage .

Pictures of spray out card with black line threw it. As well as bumper primed in black and side in grey. All same color......

View attachment 1604415

View attachment 1604416

I always use the card.........the card is what was pissing me off with the orange and yellow :mad:

I am not a pearl fan and I don't know why it's added to paint that is supposed to duplicate the 60's and 70's colors. It turns to mud unless you are looking straight at it in sunlight.

It does matter on the color. But I know what you mean . Some colors are actually designed like that on purpose to help accent body lines and curves. Others have a crazy flop that allow the metallic to really pop from a side angle

Like at the start of thise video !

I still get crowds around this
ol' gal. The majority want to
know the year and make.
It's taken a long time to get
it to this point with
everything in this build being
custom. It turns out, the
single most expensive step
is going to be the paint,
which I'm terrible at
applying, and don't have the
money, time, and energy to
complete. I'll leave it up to
my son if he wants to see it
thru.
20190620_165747~2.jpg20200527_125033~2.jpg20200618_145729.jpg
20230331_174918.jpg

20230508_130542.jpg

I'm late to the party here but will add my dos centavos. As a PPG certified shop, the PPG rep told me that 25% of the cost goes toward forward technology. Meeting upcoming regulations. When I use Deltron or Concept paint line I have no problem with coverage of reds, orange or yellow. Omni is like pisswater, 8-10 coats. The Omni epoxy and polyurethane primers are good products but their topcoats are not very good. PPG 2021 clear is the bomb! Workability and longevity and you can mix it with Concept colors. I have won best of show and best paint trophies with this system. I am going to try some SPI in the near future as I need a new budget friendly line since Auto Extra left, it was a good dollar friendly product. My bottom line is, if I need to do a job that is top of the line and needs to last, PPG Concept/Delton line. I have 30 year old paint jobs out there still near perfect.

With House of Kolors you are paying for the name and the fancy graphics on their advertising.....plus all the sales reps and their fancy cars.
It must be better because it costs more mentality.
It's also got electrolytes I am told.

Delfleet is a good option. It's single stage and can be polished. And you don't need 30 years experience to get it right.

Is he hiding his face from the camera, or crying because he got a splinter in his eye?

"wraps" are looking better every day !!!

Just bought the paint to do my RR. 3 gallons of red and 3 gallons of reducer. Sherwin Williams ATX. $2700 ... Canadian

On coverage: My friends and I would buy cars in need of something, fix it, and sell. Making a profit was elusive and I vowed to show it could be done if one watched spending. I bought a van from a local roofing company. They paint all their rigs red and I painted it white with tractor enamel, on sale for $12 per gallon ($32 today). I was spraying the second coat and the red was still showing so I started putting it on thicker. With the third coat, there were still light red tiger stripes in the finish. So I started putting the paint on very thick, but it still didn't fix it. I suspected what was going on and went into the office and stared at the gray carpet for a couple minutes. Went back out and sure enough, the paint was fine, no stripes. It must have been the cones and rods in my eyes causing the stripes from staring at that vast expanse of white.

I know you are not supposed to mix brands, but years ago, [back in the mid 70's] a buddy managed a body shop for a large Ford dealership.
We came up with the idea of a "beer paint job"............
on at least 12 or more vehicles, we just mixed a bunch of the "leftover" pints, quarts, etc, into "custom" colors, added a touch of whatever beer we were consuming at the moment, and sprayed away. We covered everything except the glass and lights. When ya really don't CARE, these paint jobs turned out GREAT and lasted forever ! This was before the OEM,s went to all one color vehicles. We should'a sued 'em for stealing our idea......:lol::drinks::bananadance:

Last month I painted my 93 Dakota that I bought in 93. The 30-year-old 300k mile trashed surface was made good after removing all the clear coat and a lot of the base down to the factory primer and some of it to metal. With sandpaper.
I used Viper Red acrylic enamel with a hardener, all from Clark's Wholesale Paints, from eBay. They call the paint line PMI. Total cost was about $100 for a gallon of paint, quart of reducer, pint of hardener. Next time I will order more reducer. This was sprayed over an unknown brand of black epoxy primer form Amazon, that was $60 with thinner.
Application was outside in the shade with a 5-mph breeze at 70 degrees with 125 feet of hose from a 4 horse 20-gallon compressor. All the wrong stuff.
It went on surprisingly well and smooth with 55 psi at the Binks model 7. No drips, runs or orange peel. 3 medium wet coats, dry to the touch between coats. The finish product is just a touch dry as anticipated.
My plan was to cut with 600 and buff. But it went on well enough to cut with 800, or maybe even 1000.
It's hard enough to cut and buff after one month. If it weren't for the dust, I would call it good and skip the cut/buff.

So, depending on the car, it's an option.
We will see if the paint stays on the truck.

Isocyante... maybe on of the worst ingredients in the new stuff.. I may have misspelled it . I was told by DuPont school teacher it hardened your lungs quickly.. The crazy thing is at work they use buckets of it. I’m not sure for what, but I steer clear of it and I’m sure the big jobs guys don’t mask up..
Heated or sprayed (like with paint), isocyanates are very dangerous. Wear supplied air or change your organic facemask cartridges ever single time you spray. It literally reacts with your lungs

Funny how the same people that warned of “inflation” are the same ones that raise prices “in response” to the market. It’s all a sham run by puppet masters waiting for the next fabricated excuse to further line their pockets.

Heated or sprayed (like with paint), isocyanates are very dangerous. Wear supplied air or change your organic facemask cartridges ever single time you spray. It literally reacts with your lungs
They come from the catalyst?

Auto Transport Service
Back