• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is automotive body paint so costly ?

Mostly I believe, but in reality, it doesn't matter much since they are always combined when applying.
Are you really a Dupont?

Mostly I believe, but in reality, it doesn't matter much since they are always combined when applying.
Are you really a Dupont?
Incorrect. The isocyanate is sprayed into a fine mist which penetrates deep into your lungs (and stays there) if you breath it in. It is only "safe" the next day after the paint is completely cured (dry).... THEN, it's safe

Why does auto body paint cost so much ????? Are the prices set by the Drug Cartel in other conturies, smuggled acrossed the border. Do the Feds stop the flow of paint into the country ??????
Back around 1999 I was hauling automotive supplies and parts around the eastern US.

I picked up two pallets of paint products (the metallic additive for DuPont's flip flop paint) to be delivered to one of their Detroit mfg. facilities.

Made in Japan... The import papers, which state the actual value of the product) stated $250,000.

There's ONE reason.

Red dye is made from insects farmed in the far east.

That's another.

But, all in all, we are being scammed.

I use Kirker paint on the few projects I do. About $130 for 3 qts of two stage urethane. 10% of what the big companies charge.

Good stuff.

Are you really a Dupont?
They don't have to be. My shade tree understanding is: the catalyst is a drier that cures the paint quickly making the car useable immediately. Without it, the paint is soft at first, but is stronger as time goes by.

I may be related way back, but hell no, my name is not Dupont. In this age with Swatters for Hire, it's fool hardy to use a real name on the Internet.

Incorrect. The isocyanate is sprayed into a fine mist which penetrates deep into your lungs (and stays there) if you breath it in. It is only "safe" the next day after the paint is completely cured (dry).... THEN, it's safe
What exactly did I state that was "incorrect"?
Educate me.
I will however contest what you seemed to imply, the depth the mist penetrates only effects the amount of exposure to the lungs, but it's the exposure in the lungs of any amount that is harmful regardless of the depth.
I also question the delivery of the harm might be more from the chemical vapors than the "mist" with anyone wearing a filter/activated charcoal ineffective in this case face mask.

paint prices have gone up 400% in the last 20 years. Nothing else on the market comes close -sure, the EPA regulations make a big hit but companies like that. Manufactures also take advantage of the situation to mark up prices hiding under the guise of EPA regulations making it the cause.

This is PPG acrylic enamel with a catalyst. Color: FLAME RED, IH light line trucks. 10 years old and still buffs out nicely (every year)

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 3.05.57 PM.png

My friend is a rep for PPG and been doing it for 25 years. He worked for a Platinum PPG dealer now for PPG itself. Here's the true answer. Greed and EPA regulations. PPG raises prices when oil goes up, yet never has a price degrease when oil goes down. And now a days most are water borne paints, sooo, oil prices has nothing to do with paint pricing. It's all greed.

My friend is a rep for PPG and been doing it for 25 years. He worked for a Platinum PPG dealer now for PPG itself. Here's the true answer. Greed and EPA regulations. PPG raises prices when oil goes up, yet never has a price degrease when oil goes down. And now a days most are water borne paints, sooo, oil prices has nothing to do with paint pricing. It's all greed.
So, I was right in my earlier post.
They charge what they do....... cause they can!

So, I was right in my earlier post.
They charge what they do....... cause they can!
As long as we are willing to pay the price for any product...the sellers will charge as much as possible..Does not matter what the product is..fact. $8,000.-$10,000. dollars for super bowl tickets..need I say more ??

As long as we are willing to pay the price for any product...the sellers will charge as much as possible..Does not matter what the product is..fact. $8,000.-$10,000. dollars for super bowl tickets..need I say more ??
Agreed. And that's fine, as long as the consumer has the option to buy, or not buy. I can paint my car, or not paint it.
The problem is, suppliers of food and fuel do the same thing.

Here is a good read. It details how The Sisters go into a country, dump cheap food until nobody can afford to be a farmer and get out of it, then they hike food prices until they are 50% of income. Why would they do it only with food?

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 9.37.06 AM.png

Auto Transport Service
Back