• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wild Ride in the 70 Coronet

FranksCoronet

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
its been a while since my last post cause everything's been going great. But today I had a wild ride. I was at a light and turned left and heard a loud bang and suddenly the gas was on the floor and the tires were spinning. The car was flying down the road while I was trying to keep control, I was close to a shop I know of and tried to get it there but there was a redlight so I had to yank out the key (thinking back I could've thrown it in neutral) and another loud bang when the hose to the radiator and intake blew up. Smoke from antifreeze was everywhere. Luckily everything seems fine. Just the cable and the hose. Luckily I did the brakes last week.

IMG_1523.JPG IMG_1524.JPG

Self-driving cars are not a new thing?:eek: Glad you got a handle on it before a wreck.
Christine --comes to mind here.
th?id=OIP.7L9bMmA0WlGP-aQzrTPT7wEsCo&pid=15.jpg

Sounds like a broken motor mount. The engine raises up pulling on the throttle cable sending the peddle to the floor. Neutral or turn the key off is the only way to get it under control.

I had this happen to me, at a busy intersection with a Lincoln 460 V8. Try holding that monster back!

Sounds like a broken motor mount. The engine raises up pulling on the throttle cable sending the peddle to the floor. Neutral or turn the key off is the only way to get it under control.

I had this happen to me, at a busy intersection with a Lincoln 460 V8. Try holding that monster back!
That must've been crazy! But I'm pretty sure the cable was just old, and my mechanic who's shop was across the street said he thought it was the cable? Who knows I'm sure I'll find out soon. Thanks for the advice!

That must've been crazy! But I'm pretty sure the cable was just old, and my mechanic who's shop was across the street said he thought it was the cable? Who knows I'm sure I'll find out soon. Thanks for the advice!

Please check the mount, especially the driver side.

We don't have to worry about all that mechanical stuff on our newer cars. It's all supervised by the control modules.:steering:

The ABOVE was a JOKE, by the way....
For a few months, my throttle would stick if I went over 1/2 throttle. I thought the cable was bad so I replaced it but the problem persisted. It would always unjam if I did a quick foot-to-floor of the pedal. It turned out to be a part of the choke linkage that I did not remove when I removed the choke plate.

You should NEVER drive these Cars without a second throttle return spring.
Mandatory on all Drag Cars.
This has happened to many of us in our youth and the consequences for some were dire.

Arm chair QB but first thing to do is shut off engine...before hitting "N" maxing out motor to oblivion. This happened to me once when I took my older brother's tri-power GTO for an unauthorized cruise with a buddy. A little speed shifting into 2nd, pedal dropped to floor...oh yeah helpless feeling. If you're driving Christine she might not let ya turn the motor off; but the neat thing is she knows how to restore herself!

Arm chair QB but first thing to do is shut off engine...before hitting "N" maxing out motor to oblivion. This happened to me once when I took my older brother's tri-power GTO for an unauthorized cruise with a buddy. A little speed shifting into 2nd, pedal dropped to floor...oh yeah helpless feeling. If you're driving Christine she might not let ya turn the motor off; but the neat thing is she knows how to restore herself!
Sounds pretty wild! Wish my car could restore itself haha

I don't think hitting "N"would cause much trouble with a 1970 318. Many years ago, back in the early 80s, I used to buy Mopars for parts and scrap the leftovers. I had a rusty 68 Coronet that I picked some pieces from, and had the rest of the car loaded on my truck for the final trip to the car shredder. In those days, I did not have any interest in the good running 318 and 904. I fired it up, put a cinder block on the gas pedal to hold it wide open, and waited for the inevitable blown engine. After an hour, it ran out of gas... LOL

I don't think hitting "N"would cause much trouble with a 1970 318. Many years ago, back in the early 80s, I used to buy Mopars for parts and scrap the leftovers. I had a rusty 68 Coronet that I picked some pieces from, and had the rest of the car loaded on my truck for the final trip to the car shredder. In those days, I did not have any interest in the good running 318 and 904. I fired it up, put a cinder block on the gas pedal to hold it wide open, and waited for the inevitable blown engine. After an hour, it ran out of gas... LOL
Yea mine was pretty tough, this issue with the pedal on the floor happened like 4 times before I completely ironed it out and it's fine

Auto Transport Service
Back