• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will 383 and 440 internals interchange?

Wizard

Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 440 bare block only no mains or crank. What 383 internal parts will interchange to build the 440? I have some 383 internals.

Thnks,

Wizard

Nothing.
Well, the main cap bolts interchange. Cam and lifters. Timing set. Oil pump and pan.
The rods are different, crank is different, pushrods are different so is the intake.

Nothing.
Well, the main cap bolts interchange. Cam and lifters. Timing set. Oil pump and pan.
The rods are different, crank is different, pushrods are different so is the intake.
Okay, main cap bolts only or also do the main caps interchange? Cam and lifters/timing set oil pump I will buy new and different from stock anyways. So I need rods and crank and pushrods?

Come to think of it, I am probably going to stroke this motor out anyways so do I really need anything from a 383 motor internals? I still need main caps but I guess buy them new and stronger than stock or maybe they come with stroker motor kit?

Last edited:
The 383 and 440 have different main bearing sizes.

Wizard, before starting your project, get a copy of the Mopar Performance Engines manual and also "How to Build Max Performance Mopar Big Blocks" by Andy Finkbeiner. These will give you plenty of things to consider before even starting.

Wiz, main caps are machined with the block at the factory. You can’t just use caps from another engine or aftermarket caps without machine work, line boring at the minimum. Then you may have to use an undersized timing chain set. When you take an engine apart, always make sure the main caps are marked for their location just as you would the rod caps.

I have a 66 440 bare block only no mains or crank. What 383 internal parts will interchange to build the 440? I have some 383 internals.

Thnks,

Wizard
Since the 440 doesn't have main caps what I would do is take the main caps from the 383 (that way you wouldn't have to buy aftermarket caps) and then have the block align bored with them and if done right it shouldn't move the mainline of the block very much at all.

Nothing.
Don't forget the pistons are different..

If we’re mentioning intakes, might as well say heads are the same...

Though you probably won’t use them

Speaking of the similarities of 383s & 440, found this recently.

I knew the 383 had a standard and higher performance version (magnum: bigger carb, intake, cam, & smaller combustion chamber heads)

I didn’t know the 440 did some of that too for ‘69 coronets & chargers

Just used the smaller cam though; at least that what my service manual implies.

Guess it would be non-magnum 440s?

57BDE860-61D3-4E04-9C17-D4A50332A3CD.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back