• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield wiper motor getting really hot

Bbodydodge

Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 1964 dodge 440 .
Doing some bulb changing, fixing burnt bulbs in dash.
Smelled something like it was hot.
I felt all the wires all felt fine.
( none hot )
Feeling around put my hand on the windshield wiper motor.
It was very hot.
Is this normal ?
Checked all the wires,,,, all looked good. What would make the wiper motor get that hot ?

I'd make sure the wiring on the wiper motor, AND switch, are correct. Was any work done to the wiper motor?

All the wires and plugs are factory and never taken off or changed from where they are plugged in.
No work done on motor.
Also wipers, work.

I would think if the wiper motor was pulling too much amperage the fuse would blow, correct? I never felt my motor on the Road Runner, but I can tell you on my Dad's old Pontiac Catalina convertible that wiper motor ran hot enough to almost burn your hand.

Make sure it has a good clean ground. I think those ( if they are the same as 66-67) have a bond strap that goes from the housing to the mounting stud, which I never understood becauseiy rest on the rubber isolators... you may want to verify its not broken and is making good contact.

Billccm, did it stay hot or only get hot when wipers was on?
I don't have to use my wipers and it gets hot and stays hot like your saying.

Mike67 I'll check for a ground on the wiper motor.
There is not a ground from the body to the engine

Billccm, did it stay hot or only get hot when wipers was on?
I don't have to use my wipers and it gets hot and stays hot like your saying.
Hot without operation? YES, this is an issue.

I'm just going to think out loud; if the switch is OFF the motor should not run. If the motor is not running there should be no current flow.

I wonder if your park switch inside the motor is shorted somehow? Do the wipers park properly when you turn the switch off?

The wipers stop when I turn the switch off. They don't shut off on there own.
But they sit off the trim, not in a bind

How do I post pic?
There is a silver box on the wiper switch and it clicks?

Mike67 I'll check for a ground on the wiper motor.
There is not a ground from the body to the engine
You should get a ground strap, from engine to body. Without it, you don't have a true ground, through the battery. Should be from the rear of the passenger side head, to the firewall. Not saying that's your problem, but it's not helping...worth finding out!
If the wiring to the wiper motor is good, agree either the motor, or switch is going south.

There should be no way the motor can get hot when it's turned off. The switch could be bad and would check there after a check on the wiring/ground. Problem with our old cars is we have no idea of what electrical stuff was done before we owned them or the knowhow or care given and most often installing stereo systems, FM convertors, 8-track tape players back when. I found my fuse block messed around with spade terminals making contact putzed up and improper connectors, etc. making things "hot" that should be...

I thank all of you for the input.
You guys are awesome.
I changed the switch.... No more problem. Wipers run, case stays cold and they shut off by there self didn't use to.
Bad switch I have 2 of these cars and I took the switch out the other till I find one to buy new.
Thank all of you again... Very helpful

IMG_20170616_182249.jpg

Now another problem.
My temp gauge use to work and now it goes all the way to the right.. Maxed out.
What will do that now, OMG

That's probably a short to ground.

Auto Transport Service
Back