• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘69 Charger with Console 4 Speed Shifter

Dan69Charger

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
I’m reinstalling the stock console in my recently acquired ‘69 Charger 4 speed car but not sure if I want to use the stock original Hurst Shifter with queue ball (as shown in the photos below), or the pistol grip version. My interest is to have plenty of clearance from the dash in 1st and 3rd gear as I’ve heard stories from others hitting the dash with some hurst shifters. Thanks all!

IMG_5355.png

IMG_5351.png

On my 68 Coronet, I tried a console pistol grip with a standard Hurst mechanism for about a week after my 4 speed conversion. My hand would hit the dash in 1st or 3rd with any amount of force other than a slow shift. It had to be the longest throw shifter I’ve ever driven.

I then found and swapped to the correct 70 hurst mechanism and it made the throws shorter.

if the linkage is set right with the original shifter you should not hit the dash.

Auto Transport Service
Back