• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 vs 4 piston disc brake

KMopar

Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
In researching front disc conversion kits for my Cuda I have seen 1 and 4 four piston kits. Is there any advantage to one over the other. I ultimately just want an easy bolt on kit that will stop the car the best with a 440. Asked question on FEBO too of course but want input from lots of mopar gurus. Thanks

Lots of talk on this subject. Others will chime in. I think it comes down to what you want to spend.

For a street car I don’t think you’ll see any difference in the 2. Track car is a different story, you have to start considering things like surface area etc... I think the size of the rotors is going to give you your biggest advantages

Single piston works pretty well for most street cars but when you want more for corner burning etc, the 4's come in well.

4 piston will clamp harder and more surface area compared to a single piston. But on the street, I’m sure, as already mentioned, you won’t notice a difference.

Two things. First, more piston surface area this bigger brake pad surface area on the rotor.

The other thing is because the pistons are smaller diameter than the single piston. This allows the pistons to be pushed closer to the edge. Well kinda, but more of that surface area is farther from the spindle, giving it much more leverage and stopping power.

That said, mine are singles and stop very nicely. Just a street car with more emphasis on go than whoa

Hell of a deal too I’d try and get a PM into him if I was you

Auto Transport Service
Back