• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Miles

64Orange

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
On May 6, 2023, my father and I completed a 1000 mile drive up and down California. The inspiration for this drive was Sir Sterling Moss and his record breaking Mille Miglia from May 1, 1955. I wanted to experience a drive like that. Of course, I couldn't do it exactly like Sir Moss but I could get close. So I mapped out a route in my home state and named it the Golden State 1000. I even made t-shirts!

I set two rules for myself. It has to be a loop, no repeated pavement allowed. And the drive has to be completed in 1 day, so I decided the best time to start the drive would be 12:00am.

The course I mapped out started in Costa Mesa (Southern California) and traveled to Lake Tahoe (Northern California) via: Interstate 5 North, Highway 99 North, Highway 50 East. Leaving Lake Tahoe to Newport Beach: Highway 395 South, Interstate 15 South, State Route 241 South. Then finish!

The following is a log we kept of our drive. We tried to write things down on the hour and every 100 miles.

12:00am Start Costa Mesa 00 Miles
IMG_5408.JPEG

12:19am Leave Orange County 25 Miles
12:35am Downtown LA 44 Miles
1:00am Six Flags Magic Mountain 78 Miles
1:38am Interstate 5 to Highway 99 129 Miles
2:00am Bakersfield Central, Highway 65 157 Miles
2:16am Driver Change 172 Miles
2:28am Tulare County 186 Miles
2:41am Highway 99, Ave 128, Town of Quail 202 Miles
3:00am Middle of nowhere Highway 99, Passed Sequoia Nat'l Park offramp 226 Miles
3:58am Burning car (Bright orange spot in background), driver fell asleep and rear ended semi truck, both drivers ok, CHP was on the way 298 MilesIMG_0935.jpg
4:03am 30-40 miles South of Merced 300 Miles
5:00am ARCO Gas, Driver change 366 Miles
5:56am Highway 99 to Highway 50 East 424 Miles

IMG_7721.JPEG
7:00am On Highway 50, Past Pollack Pines, Fork of North American River 486 Miles
IMG_7718.JPEG
7:17am Highway 50, 25 Miles to South Lake Tahoe 500 Miles (Half way!!)
7:45am Arrived at South Lake Tahoe 522 Miles
8:00am Touched Lake Tahoe, Driver Change 524 Miles
9:03am Highway 395, Entered Walker River Shed 561 Miles
9:42am Highway 395, Devil's Gate Summit 601 Miles
9:58am Highway 395, Bodie State Park 617 Miles
11:00am Mammoth Lakes, Mammoth Main Lodge 666 Miles
IMG_7739.JPG

Lunch Break + Shopping

12:18pm Leave Mammoth Lakes, Driver Change, Back to Highway 395 670 Miles
12:45pm Enter Bishop (Pick up Schatt's bread) 705 Miles
2:00pm Highway 395, Lone Pine 766 Miles
2:29pm South Highway 395 800 Miles
3:00pm South Highway 395, Johannesburg 844 Miles
3:50pm 4 Corners, Kramer Junction 900 Miles (I like trains and this is a BNSF train in Cajon Pass)
IMG_7745.JPG
5:00pm Interstate 15 South & State Route 60 958 Miles
5:47pm Jamboree & MacArthur (Newport Beach) 1000 Miles
IMG_0965.jpg
When we finished the drive I was proud. We did it! I fulfilled a dream of driving 1000 miles just like Sir Moss. And here are my take aways from the Golden State 1000.

1) Going through Los Angeles in the earliest hours in the morning to avoid any kind of traffic was a golden play.
2) I need to plan the GS1000's route a bit more carefully. Pick the parts I want to make good time and pick parts that are slow. The stretch of 395 South from Adelanto to I-15 South Cajon Pass was a total drag.
3) Sleep! Get plenty of rest beforehand. Running on a few hours of sleep was challenging and potentially dangerous. Maybe a 4:00am start instead of midnight next time.
4) It was a challenging drive. Not in the way I expected but still unique and enjoyable.
5) California is an incredibly beautiful state. We traveled through a major metropolis, lush green forests, snow covered mountains and roads, raging rivers, formerly dry lakes filled with water, and high deserts. Simply stunning!
6) A lot of people thought that the GS 1000 was crazy and kinda cool. I should invite more people
7) I absolutely want to do it again next year. I already have a few routes in mind.

Thanks for sharing the experience. Don't think I would be able to drive 1000 miles without a rest along the way now days. But good job. :thumbsup:

Your ambition is inspiring and the prep work absolutely necessary. It had to be a trill for the both of you. Great detailed story and pictures.

Being rested for your next trip is a good observation. Many folks here will recognize the term “slap happy” and that’s not the time to be behind the wheel.

This is GREAT! Cool idea, good execution. And T shirts to boot! :)
Thanx for sharing. And no thanx for the idea you just planted in my mind... ;)

Nice. 1k is a hike. I've done it on a motorcycle a couple times. Nice thing about a bike is, I can stand on the pegs and stretch (at 80mph) if I start getting sore and/or tired! And, I have to get off and walk around every 130-150 miles at a fuel stop! That, and the exposure (wind) definitely keeps sleepy-time at bay.

Last one I did like that was...oh...'09? MD to Toledo, turned north to Mackinaw City / Big Mac bridge, to the U.P. and then back down into WI to East Troy. Crossed the 45th parallel along the way, and I tell ya what - the U.P. is GORGEOUS (at least, it is mid-summer; every house has a car, a 4x4, and a snowmobile, so...you know winters are no joke up there).

I've also done MD to north FL more than once on a bike; more than a dozen times in a car (including in my truck, towing my Charger home from Gainesville FL a few years ago). Not quite 1k, closer to 800...but a nice long trip nonetheless and a relatively "easy" 12 hour run, solo. In college we did MD to Key West non-stop, but that was with like 5 people in my wagon (the '72 Satellite) as well as 3 in my buddy's 89 Daytona; 4 in another buddy's Grand Am; and 4 in another buddy's Cutlass. We swapped drivers quite a bit on that one.

I think I'm too old to do stuff like that anymore though...I'll just have to dig up some of the old photos, I guess!

Maybe I'll have another bike trip or two in me though...we'll see if the right situation presents itself.

Nice trip!

3 years ago, Submit and I drove from our house in MA to just east of Nashville TN. Total trip was 900 miles. We left at 3:00 am & quit driving around 9:00 pm. I did all the driving.

This is GREAT! Cool idea, good execution. And T shirts to boot! :)
Thanx for sharing. And no thanx for the idea you just planted in my mind... ;)
Thank you for the support! I'll post again next year and invite people to join. And I'll make more shirts!

Nice. 1k is a hike. I've done it on a motorcycle a couple times. Nice thing about a bike is, I can stand on the pegs and stretch (at 80mph) if I start getting sore and/or tired! And, I have to get off and walk around every 130-150 miles at a fuel stop! That, and the exposure (wind) definitely keeps sleepy-time at bay.

Last one I did like that was...oh...'09? MD to Toledo, turned north to Mackinaw City / Big Mac bridge, to the U.P. and then back down into WI to East Troy. Crossed the 45th parallel along the way, and I tell ya what - the U.P. is GORGEOUS (at least, it is mid-summer; every house has a car, a 4x4, and a snowmobile, so...you know winters are no joke up there).

I've also done MD to north FL more than once on a bike; more than a dozen times in a car (including in my truck, towing my Charger home from Gainesville FL a few years ago). Not quite 1k, closer to 800...but a nice long trip nonetheless and a relatively "easy" 12 hour run, solo. In college we did MD to Key West non-stop, but that was with like 5 people in my wagon (the '72 Satellite) as well as 3 in my buddy's 89 Daytona; 4 in another buddy's Grand Am; and 4 in another buddy's Cutlass. We swapped drivers quite a bit on that one.

I think I'm too old to do stuff like that anymore though...I'll just have to dig up some of the old photos, I guess!

Maybe I'll have another bike trip or two in me though...we'll see if the right situation presents itself.
That's absolutely rad. I got more driving to do! Your trips sound beautiful, there is so much more to see!

Quite an adventure @64Orange

congrats, quite the trip in 24 hrs, 1,000 miles

had a sore but I'll bet :carrot:

Even many nonnatives (or the haters) are completely clueless
what we have here in California, very lil' of it what
99% of the people see on TV or read about,
all the negative Nancy's comments on...
It's not all the same, at all...
From the scenery or from Ocean beaches & cliffs
to roads/hwys leading thru the vast farmland/ranches or Valley
windy rds/hwys up to the 14,000+ mountains (real mountains)
passes at over 9,000ft elevation
the vast diverse state in regions, north & south or east & west
the vast difference in weather, humidity &/or lifestyles truly differing
way of life or vastly different topography/landscape
&
you barely covered sort of '1/2 of the state'
but a valiant & a very cool undertaking/effort
to attempt & do it, in that in a 24 hr time frame

California is 800+miles long (as the crow flies) from Oregon to Mexico
just under a 100 million acres, just under 164,000 square miles
with thousands & thousands of things to see or explore
& vastly different areas to see & enjoy

the other 20% just avoid most the inner-cities, or traffic, commute hrs
in those very areas
not worth seeing or experiencing

Last edited:
Quite an adventure @64Orange

congrats, quite the trip in 24 hrs, 1,000 miles

had a sore but I'll bet :carrot:

many nonnatives (or the haters) are completely clueless
what we have here in California, very lil' of it what
99% of the people see on TV or read about
scenery or from Ocean beaches & cliffs
to windy roads leading thru the vast farmland/ranches or Valley
up to 14,000+ mountains (real mountains) passes at over 9,000ft elevation
the vast diverse state in regions, north & south or east & west
the vast difference in weather, humidity &/or lifestyles truly differeing
way of life or vastly different topography/landscape
&
you barely covered sort of '1/2 of the state' but a valiant coll undertaking/effort
to attempt & do in that in a 24 hr time frame

California is 800+miles long (as the crow flies) from Oregon to Mexico
thousands & thousands of things to see or explore
& vastly different areas to see & enjoy

just avoid most the inner-cities, or traffic, commute hrs in those very areas
not worth seeing or experiencing
You hit the nail on the head. There is so much more to discover. Thank you for the support!

Nice drive @64Orange :thumbsup: Closest I have done was about 21 years ago. Drove from Queenstown to home in Auckland ....the only non-drive part was a ferry crossing that took 3 hours, plus waiting time of nearly 2 hours. I drove all the way, while my wife kept an eye open for the fuzz ahead.

Holden Commodore s/w full of tools and materials for the carpark ticket machines I had just installed in Queenstown....I had joked about making the speedometer bell sound off on the way with the guys at the office. The max it could be set to was 180kph......it went off several times. :p

Made it home in 23 - 1/2 hours - and the roads were not as direct or as good as they are these days. Distance just short of 1,000 miles

1683747419687.png

Not the actual car - but similar....

1683747514672.png

Nice drive @64Orange :thumbsup: Closest I have done was about 21 years ago. Drove from Queenstown to home in Auckland ....the only non-drive part was a ferry crossing that took 3 hours, plus waiting time of nearly 2 hours. I drove all the way, while my wife kept an eye open for the fuzz ahead.

Holden Commodore s/w full of tools and materials for the carpark ticket machines I had just installed in Queenstown....I had joked about making the speedometer bell sound off on the way with the guys at the office. The max it could be set to was 180kph......it went off several times. :p

Made it home in 23 - 1/2 hours - and the roads were not as direct or as good as they are these days. Distance just short of 1,000 miles

View attachment 1462923

View attachment 1462924
Wow! Now that's one heck of a drive! And that's one incredible wife to keep a lookout, especially at those speeds.

View attachment 1462923

View attachment 1462924

View attachment 1462923

View attachment 1462924
Is the South Pole next?

Auto Transport Service
Back