• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

18 Spline Transmission Question

Jerry Hall

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a 18 spline 4-speed the other day. There is no VIN on the pad, and the numbers are PP8332614 0012. There are remnants of turquoise paint. The 10000 day calendar says September 23, 1968. This should be a 1969 transmission, correct? Would this be the 12th one built that day. Sort of confusing as to why no VIN also. Any ideas?

20230512_164931.jpg

My guess is it was an inventory stocking transmission for warranty or over the counter sales. Hence missing VIN. Did they ever leave the factory painted? Paint question is one will never know. as

My guess is it was an inventory stocking transmission for warranty or over the counter sales. Hence missing VIN. Did they ever leave the factory painted? Paint question is one will never know. as
My current project 67 Satellite 23 spline 4-speed had turquoise paint on some of the bottom as this one does, as does the bellhousing. I can't answer the paint question, but I haven't seen paint on many transmissions.

Most likely a warranty trans .... having a raised pad for vin indicates 68 and newer transmission....,67 and later no raised vin pad .. .. probably should just donate it to me ..those are illegal in state of Alabama I've heard?

Auto Transport Service
Back