• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1963 330 Steering Wheel Trim - The Impossible Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Send It

Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
This is going to be a long shot, guys...

I'm looking for an inside trim piece for a 1963 Dodge 330 steering wheel. It's the elongated strip of aluminum shown below. I just need 1, but I'd buy a pair to keep an extra on-hand.

Here are some photos of the part I'm looking for. They are held on by an adhesive

20240215_065755.jpg

20240214_202223.jpg

Thanks

how would one remove that foil without destroying it?

Very similar to 63 Ply also. ruffcut

how would one remove that foil without destroying it?
I used a heat gun on its lowest setting and carefully peeled it off using a pair of tweezers and a pick. The piece is thin but it's fairly rigid. It came off in 1 shot for me. Once you loosen the adhesive it can be easily removed.

Could a graphics shop make up something like that?
Probably, but the setup fees to make this piece would cost more than the steering wheel is worth.

Ideally, I want to keep it authentic and find the real-deal if possible.

How thick is it? Make a pattern of the flat area. Cut out a piece of hardwood from same and sand the sides of same smooth. Cut out a piece of aluminum and "dolly" up the edge.

How thick is it? Make a pattern of the flat area. Cut out a piece of hardwood from same and sand the sides of same smooth. Cut out a piece of aluminum and "dolly" up the edge.

I gave it my best shot but it's not quite right. It's more noticeable in person. Bummer

(Mine is on top)

20240215_174237.jpg

Can’t you make a second one so they match? Maybe paint the center with argent wheel paint? I’d bet nobody could tell the difference or even notice.

Can’t you make a second one so they match? Maybe paint the center with argent wheel paint? I’d bet nobody could tell the difference or even notice.
I agree the one made doesn't look bad so he could make another and it could be polished to look better. BUT if he doesn't like it, I understand that too as it is the first thing you see when you get into a car...

very nice duplicate.

Well, you guys inspired me to try. Lol
I appreciate that.

I slept on it and tried again this morning. I got this one pretty close. I just don't have small enough punches to get the curve right on the little end.

It's better. I'm not 100% sold on it yet. I would need to paint it, but I'm not sure of the correct color.

20240215_174141.jpg

I'm still searching for an original.

Well, you guys inspired me to try. Lol
I appreciate that.

I slept on it and tried again this morning. I got this one pretty close. I just don't have small enough punches to get the curve right on the little end.

It's better. I'm not 100% sold on it yet. I would need to paint it, but I'm not sure of the correct color.

View attachment 1609913

I'm still searching for an original.
So they are a painted insert? I am not familiar with 63's. Keep up the good work looks like it's getting very close....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back