• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Savoy Aluminum front end parts

CVmopar7

Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
I have one of the original 1963 factory lightweight Savoy's. I'm looking for any leads on aluminum front end pieces- hood/scoop, fenders, etc. The original parts were removed in the mid 60's to switch NHRA classes and it's had a steel front end ever since. I know there can't be many pieces floating around anymore, if any. I've come across lots of dead ends in my search over the years.

There are a couple of guys who specialize in that type of parts.

My first call would be to Mr. Jim Kramer at Kramer Automotive. He has always been helpful and knowledgeable. 724-285-5566

Also can try Brian at Crossram Connection. He is a wealth of information. 262-542-2834

Both of those guys are easy to find on the internet if you can't them on the phone.

there is an original aluminum max wedge scoop on ebay, been there for at least a year,,4000.00/offer...............................

I have one of the original 1963 factory lightweight Savoy's. I'm looking for any leads on aluminum front end pieces- hood/scoop, fenders, etc. The original parts were removed in the mid 60's to switch NHRA classes and it's had a steel front end ever since. I know there can't be many pieces floating around anymore, if any. I've come across lots of dead ends in my search over the years.
Purchasing your needed parts by piece meal is going to be very expensive. You might luck out with someone selling a whole clip at one time where you might be able to wheel and deal for the whole set. Try Carlisle in the Summer or any of the gentlemen mentioned above. Keep your ears open. Good luck.

Close, but no cigar

1964 A-864 Dodge 330 Aluminum Front End & Steel Bumper. Pick Up Only. | eBay
1699322704828.png

I have talked to 2 high end restoration shops that specialize in aluminum work about duplicating the sheet metal on my Max. They told me it was not a problem, the price would be time and material. I talked to one of our suppliers about this and he told me that there was not much of a market for them. I had hoped that if I could get somebody interested I could get maybe 2 or 3 or more sets made and my set wouldn't cost me much! A set for me, a set for him and 1 or 2 sets for customers. There is a Lightweight Dodge at Carlisle the past couple of years that has a steel hood. The owner told me that the car has had the steel hood for more than 50 years.

I have talked to 2 high end restoration shops that specialize in aluminum work about duplicating the sheet metal on my Max. They told me it was not a problem, the price would be time and material. I talked to one of our suppliers about this and he told me that there was not much of a market for them. I had hoped that if I could get somebody interested I could get maybe 2 or 3 or more sets made and my set wouldn't cost me much! A set for me, a set for him and 1 or 2 sets for customers. There is a Lightweight Dodge at Carlisle the past couple of years that has a steel hood. The owner told me that the car has had the steel hood for more than 50 years.
Anything can be done if you have the time, prime$ and tool$.
Here's my homemade aluminum hood and ultra AFX Hemi scoop for a '65 Dodge. It fits and looks the part perfectly. It was easier than most other hoods to replicate because it is basically flat on most planes, but if it wasn't for my expertise welder friends with their respective shops equipped with power hammers, breaks and English wheels, I couldn't have made this.
Now mind you, no '65 cars came with aluminum sheet metal as they were outlawed by NHRA by then, but the emphasis was to go renegade lightweight (see the The Elephant in the room: how to unload the load from a B-body" column elsewhere on here and feel the madness. That being said, I know that you are trying to restore a real deal lightweight car and I'm not trying to discourage you, but it will be harder to make these complicated compound bends and semi-elliptical shapes that '62-'65 cars have. Perhaps the shop that quoted you may not know all the details of such parts or perhaps they are just as MAD as some of us are. LOL.
Either way good luck. If I hear of anything, I'll post it to you.
PS; Another guy for such knowledge and access to aluminum parts is a cat named Greg Lane. He has a website with lots of information.

unnamed-3.jpg

Finally found a hood for the 64 Dodge. Had to buy the whole front end to get it though

How You doing Lea. Happy Thanksgiving!
Thank you. And the same in return.
Glad you found that hood. I too was in doubt that you could find one, instead you got the whole farm. LOL.

Hope the OP gets the same luck to find his whole LTWT front end.

I'm bringing a dish to add to the festivities next summer.

Thank you. And the same in return.
Glad you found that hood. I too was in doubt that you could find one, instead you got the whole farm. LOL.

Hope the OP gets the same luck to find his whole LTWT front end.

I'm bringing a dish to add to the festivities next summer.
Can't wait. Already have the winter blues!

Auto Transport Service
Back