• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth fury

justjim

Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
i changed from manual steering to power steering all went well until i tried sliding the steering shaft on to the steering box i thought it would be easy but i was wrong any HELP is appreciated !

PS column shaft is I believe 3" shorter, also has a different sized splined coupler... but you don't say what your issue is!

all parts are from a 64 Plymouth fury, i know the shaft is shorter but i can’t slide the steering shaft over the power steering gear box on the gear box there is one spline missing and the shaft has about 8 or so splines on only 2 sides

I did the exact same thing on my 65. I used all the components including the shaft from the parts car. I did not mount the shaft until it was connected to the gear box. I think the tube on the shaft has different mounting slots. Maybe take the couple off and do a check ?.... I bet it's real tight and the angle has to be right to get it to slide. So my 2 cents worth.... leave the whole thing loose until its coupled

130.jpg

I did the exact same thing on my 65. I used all the components including the shaft from the parts car. I did not mount the shaft until it was connected to the gear box. I think the tube on the shaft has different mounting slots. Maybe take the couple off and do a check ?.... I bet it's real tight and the angle has to be right to get it to slide. So my 2 cents worth.... leave the whole thing loose until its coupled

View attachment 1539113
i will give that a try and hope for the best THX

Auto Transport Service
Back