• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Polara Restoration Opinions

dryheat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a very stock 1964 Polara 2dr Hdtp and am wrestling with the best approach on the restore. It is absolutely an original numbers matching car with a 383 2bbl, power steering, push button and factory A/C.

Here is a photo ....

S6300348.JPG

Mechanically I will keep it as original as possible but my biggest dilema is if I should keep it all original ... specifically the paint (white) and interior color (blue) scheme.

Would a completely original car be more valuable or does it really matter that much?

Everyone will tell you that you will be over your head in a restoration and you can buy a done car for less so do it how you want . I just completed a 64 426 streetwedge 4 speed car and these cars are not cheap to restore but it looks like you have a rust free complete car and if you can do alot of the work yourself you can stay whole just don't think you will come out ahead unless the market improves. l

?

Personally, I think that you have one of the best color combos out there. I`ll leave my 63 white when the metalwork gets done. But we`re doing black interior cuz as an old drag car,it`s got 0 interior now. We plan on using the black plastic for door panels,the 70 `cuda looking stuff you get in 4x8 sheets. I`d do what you want,it`s your car.

Paint, interior color and motor numbers are not that important in the early B bodies unless your dealing with the ultra rare max wedges or Hemi's.

I think your color scheme is very cool and white can be done on a budget and has the ability to hide minor flaws really well.

Its your car, do it how you want it. I have a red 63 440 that was white, then red and shortly it will be turquoise which is what I want.

Paint, interior color and motor numbers are not that important in the early B bodies unless your dealing with the ultra rare max wedges or Hemi's.

I think your color scheme is very cool and white can be done on a budget and has the ability to hide minor flaws really well.

I agree with SOME of the above and will add this.

With a 383-2 with factory A/C it is not even one of the sought after 383-4 4 speed cars. It does however have the building blocks as a very nice, comfortable (A/C) driver type car. It would not hurt the resale one bit to add a more powerful 440 and save the 383 in case you sell it someday to someone that cares (however I doubt that anyone would) but MOST people would much rather see the paint and interior match the fender tab of BS if you have them.

I would put a built 440 in, some nice wheels, good shocks, get the A/C working, paint it the original white ad drive the wheels off of it.

Do what makes you happy, I did/am.

Nice car!!!Just repaint factory color...Thats what i,d do...If it ain,t broke don,t fix it!!!
Petty Blue 67 gTx

it's yours

Everyone will tell you that you will be over your head in a restoration and you can buy a done car for less so do it how you want . I just completed a 64 426 streetwedge 4 speed car and these cars are not cheap to restore but it looks like you have a rust free complete car and if you can do alot of the work yourself you can stay whole just don't think you will come out ahead unless the market improves. l

i have a couple of buddies up here who have built near perfect cars and they agree you could buy it done cheaper. :headbang:

Nice find....

Mechanically I will keep it as original as possible but my biggest dilema is if I should keep it all original ... specifically the paint (white) and interior color (blue) scheme.
The white and blue is a striking combo when fresh. A color change can become much more labor intensive if done right.... and more costly.

I am an advocate of the 383..... Arguably the best motor Chrysler ever built. A lot depends on how you intend to use the car as to what you do for an power train. You'll enjoy the economy and drivability of the 383 2 bbl and A/C if cruising is the plan and the 383 will provide plenty of power if needed. Again the least expensive route. If tire smoking and racing is the plan then a built 440.... modified trans and rear gear plus suspension mods will be required.... A substantial investment.

Value will likely not be affected either way but if your planning on just flipping the car you will likely not get a good return on your investment.

Do what makes you happy, I did/am.

...and know of a reputable bail bondsman:grin:

Seriously...I like the white/blue combo. My car was originally code MM silver,and though I want to go back to that,I can live with the white color,especially with the red/white interior.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided to leave it the factory white/blue and do whatever my budget allows to keep it as original as I can.

Now all I need to do is find the correct interior panels and seat upholstery. I looked at Legendary and found the front and rear seats but the door panels seem to be for the Polara 500.

And now my parts quest begins.

Jim

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided to leave it the factory white/blue and do whatever my budget allows to keep it as original as I can.

Now all I need to do is find the correct interior panels and seat upholstery. I looked at Legendary and found the front and rear seats but the door panels seem to be for the Polara 500.

And now my parts quest begins.

Jim

It looks like it has the original nutted axles in the rear?

Do yourself a favor and pop in a later B-body rearend in there!

It looks like it has the original nutted axles in the rear?

Do yourself a favor and pop in a later B-body rearend in there!

That is definitely on my list of things to get done. ... just gotta find one locally which shouldn't be too hard. (famous last words)

It's what you like I have changed cars & original. I see you have a crease but otherwise a great body. Let me give you a thought from a different angle dark colors especially black tend to show all the sins ever done to the body except if the body work is PERFECT. Good Luck enjoy

Auto Transport Service
Back