• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 1965 Impala 2 Door Sport Coupe 327

Status
Not open for further replies.

cspringall

Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Testing the waters on this car. If the interest isn't there, I'll keep driving it. I didn't set out to own this car, it just happened to be in front of me at the right time.

1965 Impala 2 Door Sport Coupe
327 V8
2 speed Power Glide Automatic
AC (not converted) - Needs to be charged, but works when charged.
Power Steering

This is a very original car, and we’ve done our best to keep it that way. This car has been driven 141,000 miles over the last 51 years, and has been taken good care of the entire way.

Originally bought in 1965 at Earl Hayes Chevrolet in Dallas, TX (Now Powell Chevrolet). The woman that bought it, drove the car for about 20 years until she passed away in the mid-80’s. Her son then inherited the car. He kept the car and upkept it for the next 30 years. During that time it received 2 paint jobs, some minor interior work and some minor mechanical work. All paperwork was kept. I was unable to find any bondo or filler on the car when I went over it with a magnet.

This car was in the same family for 50 years. The owner finally decided to sell it instead of trying to keep it during a move. I happened upon the add that was forwarded to me via a local car club. This car wasn't on my bucket list, but was very original, and the seller had been unsuccessful in selling it (probably because it December which is a tough month for vintage cars). I went out to see it and could not believe my eyes. This car was indeed VERY original, and in great condition. It needed some work (see below), but what a great opportunity to own a 2 owner/same family 50 year old vehicle. These just don't present themselves very often.

Since owning this car, my goal was to keep it as original as possible. There were, however, some things that needed to be taken care of. First order of business was replacing all of the steering linkage, idler arm, etc... The car had a nasty pull to the right, and the old tired steering bushing needed to be replaced. Next up, we replaced all 4 shocks.

Then we turned out attention to the mechanical. The car ran fine, but leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez, and had been for years. This did help protect the undercarriage from major rust, but we could barely see the Chevrolet Orange on the engine anymore. In talking to the owner, I found out that the heads nor engine had ever been pulled! 50 years, 141,000 miles and this baby was still running. We deliberated for a while, but in the end decided to go for the full rebuild. Upon disassembly, it was found that was the right decision. The rings had worn the block, and the intake was seriously blocked from carbon build up. The valves actually looked decent, but the ports were blocked and had massive build up.

We tore down everything. The top end got a full comp cam kit K12-210-2 with the 268 cam and Summit’s lightweight “race valves, rocked by the Magnum rollertip rocker arm kit RP1412-16. The bottom end was bored .030 over, cleaned polished and reassembled with new pistons, rods and bearings. We rebuilt/refreshed and re-used the original intake, carb, and exhaust manifolds. This will limit the power we can get with the upgrades, however the new owner is just a few bolt ons away from some big power gains… if they so desire. Intake, carb, and headers should yield 50+HP on top of the estimated 300 it's churning out at the moment. However it runs like a dream as is, with a lot of low end torque, right where you need it with this Power Glide driven car. The torque converter was replaced with a Hughes PG-20 for good measure, while we had everything pulled. New Engine Mounts, and Transmission mounts were installed. All bolts replaced with ARP bolts (flexplate, TC, engine mount, head bolts, etc..) All of the accessory mounts/brackets, fan, fan shroud, and the new water pump got a fresh shot of flat black, and the engine got it's factory Chevy Orange back. A few stickers here and there and when you pop the hood you are hard pressed to tell where the survivor ends and the refresh starts. This car looks as close as I could get it to factory without going into debt with Year One for hoses and clamps.

We finished up by removing the 50 year old weather stripping from the trunk and window rails and replaced it with new soft stuff.

The results of the above work is a car that drives straight as an arrow, runs incredibly well, and retains as many original parts as possible. All of the trim on the car is original, with the exception of one small piece. Much of the glass is original. All of the emblems, interior trim gauges, wheels, and hubcaps are original to this car. And, of course, the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and rear end are all original to this car.

As I mentioned at the beginning. I'm testing the waters. I don't mind owning this car for a while if there is no market for it at my price.

In the pictures I included 1 photo of the engine bay prior to the work, and 1 of the engine when we pulled it. Pretty cool that this car was still running so well after 50 years, and this was the only time the engine has ever been pulled from this car. Paint is a 7 of 10. Has a couple of scratches and chips from being parked in a garage next to bikes and lawn equipment. Not perfect, but most people walk right on by without noticing.

Asking $19,000. Would also consider partial trade on Gen 2 Camaro or 67-9 Barracuda.

Amusing in the pictures. When I pulled the car into the shop, I didn't have a drive way. When I pulled the car out, I did. If you notice the length of the driveway you'll understand why I've owned my house for 15 years before getting it put in. AKA The Airstrip.
IMG_3164.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3172.jpg
IMG_3179.jpg
IMG_4445.jpg
IMG_4806.jpg
IMG_4845.jpg
IMG_4808.jpg
IMG_4817.jpg
IMG_3164.jpg
IMG_4908.jpg

Status