• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 plymouth satellite father & son story

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
My father and I are in the process of completing a restoration on a 1965 plymouth satellite. I'll try to keep it as short as possible without leaving out any of the good details. My dad has owend this car since 1978 it was a factory 318 auto car. He purchased the car with no motor back in 1978 over the years before I was even born he installed a 383 and then a 440 he told me this car has has more transmissions and rear ends than he could count (he liked doing burnouts) It had been a work in progress but like all true gear heads his time was devided among many other toys and project cause its never enough to have only one toy! Some of my earilest memories was him working on this car. I remember him converting it to a 4 speed when i was very young. before the days when you could co on e bay and find everything you neededl lol. He went to wrecking yards and swap meets and gathered what he could. I remembered getting picked up from school in this car and even though it was in half primer and half paint. I thought it was the coolest car in the world! There was a short time when the car was well sorted out and very mechanically sond (still in primer here and there) stout 440, ported heads, cam, 750 holley, 4 speed, and 391 sure grip. For a couple months I was probably about 8-10 years old I remember waking up every weekend with nothing said between us and meeting my dad in the garage he would fire up the plymouth and we would cruze it around. No wait that was a lie... he would beat the living **** out of this car. This big block mopar would go sideways in every gear! This is where I learned to drive like a crazy man, and my driving reccord shows it. Ok so long story short then the plymouth got taken apart for paint and pretty much sat for about 15+ years. Dad gave me everyting he could while I was growing up, sponsored/coached baseball teams, go karts, cars, you name it! I grew up somehow got into mustangs and fords. But always had a love for the mopars. About 3 years ago I told Dad enough was enough! We brought the car down to my (mustang shop) and went to work. I had the car painted, pretty much did a complete restoration front to back. Because I never forgot everything he had done for me over the years. It has been a tough restoration cause dad wanted the car to be more of a stock factory restoration and Im more into high performance and going fast. I did manage to slip in some custom built frame connectors, battery relocation, and a few other touches. The car is getting very close to being completed and we are trying to make the Ohlone college car show in June. I am very excited to see him go sideways in this car again!

If that isnt one cool father son mopar project story I dont know what is? I plan on posting some pictures in the build section soon.

That is a really cool story BBb. Looking forward to the build pictures.

Welcome, great story. One question how'd you end up a ford fan? :)

BitchinBbody65 great story, sounds like your a good son & welcome to FBBO... Where in the Bay Area are you ?? I assume you mean the NorCal SF Bay Area, North Bay, South Bay, East Bay regions, we have quite a few people from NorCal & from the Bay Area or originally from the Bay Area, I'm from Concord East Bay originally, I was born & raised there 1959-1997, I left a few times for school & different stuff, before moving away to the Sacramento Valley, then now in the Sierra foothills... I wonder if I know you dad ??

Well I ended up getting into 5.0 mustangs in high school because well they were cheap and easily modified.

I live in the east bay castro valley to be exact, but funny you mention sonora because my dad actually lives in valley springs

Small world isn't it ??....

- - - Updated - - -

Well I ended up getting into 5.0 mustangs in high school because well they were cheap and easily modified.

I live in the east bay castro valley to be exact, but funny you mention sonora because my dad actually lives in valley springs

I know Castro Valley well, at least I use to... I worked out of a Construction/Real-estate office on Main St. in Hayward for years...

Small world isn't it ??....

- - - Updated - - -

I know Castro Valley well, at least I use to... I worked out of a Construction/Real-estate office on Main St. in Hayward for years...

WHAT!! Even smaller world!!

I grew up in concord/pacheco.

I have had atleast 50 late model fox body mustangs and built and continue to build motors for them.

Im in the bay area.

I drove a 1965 Plymouth Satellite 383 4 speed car in high school that was MY DADS!! (meep-meep can verify this)

I sold it before going into the air force and bought a 66 charger when I came back.

I also bought a 89 mustang in 1995 which started my fox body ford craze.

Im just an all around car guy, but I LOVE my old mopars.

I have been restoring my charger and looking for my 65 plymouth for years.

Not only a small world but man what a close story.

Here is the kicker, I bought a 5 acre ranch in VALLEY SPRINGS where my father now lives (rents from me)

Wow.

WHAT!! Even smaller world!!

I grew up in concord/pacheco.

I have had atleast 50 late model fox body mustangs and built and continue to build motors for them.

Im in the bay area.

I drove a 1965 Plymouth Satellite 383 4 speed car in high school that was MY DADS!! (meep-meep can verify this)

I sold it before going into the air force and bought a 66 charger when I came back.

I also bought a 89 mustang in 1995 which started my fox body ford craze.

Im just an all around car guy, but I LOVE my old mopars.

I have been restoring my charger and looking for my 65 plymouth for years.

Not only a small world but man what a close story.

Here is the kicker, I bought a 5 acre ranch in VALLEY SPRINGS where my father now lives (rents from me)

Wow.

Yeah, we probably ran across each other, I'm sure Me & Meeps both knew a bunch of the same people, we've had a couple of conversations about it, all of the same crowd, I'm a little slight bit older, but we didn't really know or remember each other... It's a small world, there's an old thread about Concord boys, you need to check it out if you get a chance...

Welcome. I understand the Mustang thing. When money is tight I would do anything to go fast!

Auto Transport Service
Back