• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Belvedere Wagon Gas Tank / Sending Unit

StayTrue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
I have made so many calls to tank suppliers and googled for days getting conflicting info and no straight answer.

Does the standard 66-67 tank fit in the Wagon? Some sites list the same part numbers as standard B-Body, some sites say exc: Wagon..
Also, where can I find a new sending unit and or parts (Floater etc)

Thanks in advance!

I have a 66 Satellite tank out back.
I can take pictures and a few measurements if you think it would help?

I can look in my parts book as well...

Last edited:
I have a 66 Satellite tank out back.
I can take pictures and a few measurements if you think it would help?

I can look in my parts book as well...
Not unless it's already installed in your 66 wagon :) then I would know it works haha.
Yeah see what you can find in the parts book please. Thank you!

Not unless it's already installed in your 66 wagon :) then I would know it works haha.
Yeah see what you can find in the parts book please. Thank you!
It's not out of a wagon.

Correction I was looking at the wrong column.
Apparently they are the same.

IMG_20230519_162441722.jpg

IMG_20230519_162434325.jpg

Last edited:
The Mopar parts books can be confusing at times. I have had to study mine pretty hard at times to figure stuff out.
The way I am interpreting this is that the tanks are the same in the B Body cars. The filler tubes are different between Dodge and Plymouth. And wagons different than sedans. Plymouths had the caps exposed on the 1/4 panels. Dodge hid the gas cap behind a trap door. In the parts books, the B bodies are in the second column. The Plymouth Belvedere cars are designated as the "R" line, and the Dodge Coronet cars are designated as the "W" car line. (1st letter in the VINs)

Last edited:
Interesting that the B Body Hemi cars show a different part number for the fuel tanks. Can anyone explain what is the difference?

I have a Mitchell's repair and replacement parts listing for my 1967 Coronet. It shows the same gas tank for all 1967 Coronets.

Interesting that the B Body Hemi cars show a different part number for the fuel tanks. Can anyone explain what is the difference?
Could it be the sending unit came with the tank and it's a 3/8" line?
I just wish we had a vent on the sending unit. I’m dealing with major vapor lock out here in Vegas and probably going to drill a hole in the new sending unit. Has anyone else delt with this issue? I see some people talking about running it back to the filler neck vent instead ‍♂️

66 and 67 gas tanks are all the same.

68 to 70 wagons use the 66/67 gas tank (and the rear floorboard) and use the spare tire well as the footwell for a 9 passenger wagon, or stowage for a 6 pass.

If you look at the roof lines, you'll see that they are all the same on wagons only from 66 to 70.

Also note 68-70 wagons have the fuel filler on the quarter panel, as per 66/67 Plymouth, rather than the under the license plate fill of the 68-70 non-wagon "cars".

Last edited:
66 and 67 gas tanks are all the same.

68 to 70 wagons use the 66/67 gas tank (and the rear floorboard) and use the spare tire well as the footwell for a 9 passenger wagon, or stowage for a 6 pass.

If you look at the roof lines, you'll see that they are all the same on wagons only from 66 to 70.

Also note 68-70 wagons have the fuel filler on the quarter panel, as per 66/67 Plymouth, rather than the under the license plate fill of the 68-70 non-wagon "cars".
right thank you for clarifying. Any insight on the vent to help with vapor lock?

right thank you for clarifying. Any insight on the vent to help with vapor lock?
That's not what causes vapor lock. Vapor lock is caused when fuel goes from a liquid state to a vapor or gaseous state. What causes this in older cars is multifactored but the crib notes version is the fuel pump creates an area of low pressure in the fuel line, this in turn reduces the pressure inhibiting the fuel to vaporize coupled with the underhood heat generated by headers and such causes the fuel to turn into a vapor, and since pumps only can move liquid by design, the engine starves for fuel.
The way to combat it is to pressurize the fuel in the fuel line going to the pump, which is what I suggest most of the time, mounting a holley red pump back by the tank and keeping 6 or 7 psi in the line to keep pressure on the fuel and raising its point of vaporizing. Your tank should already have either a vented cap or vent line in the filler neck.

The 66-70 B body wagons share the trunk pan with the 66-67 B body coupes and sedans. So that means the 66-67 coupe gas tank will work in the B body wagon. In 68, the coupe and sedan B bodies (except Charger) went to a center filler neck with the gas cap behind the rear license plate. Since the 68-70 B body wagons continued to use the earlier gas tank, that could be the source of your confusion.

I can confirm from my own experience what has been said by recent posters is true. The tanks are the same. I removed a rusted and damaged tank from my 66 Coronet wagon. Bought a clean used tank from a 67 Satellite that was being converted to a drag car. Set them next to each other and measured every way so could think of. No difference. Bought a pass car sending unit and that was the same too. I would mention that the fuel line size is determined in the sending unit, not the tank.

Must be NICE.

My '72 Satellite wagon has a COMPLETELY different tank. A suitcase-style inside the drivers side quarter panel, between the rear wheel and the bumper. If I wanted to put a sedan-style tank in my wagon, it would be INSIDE the car, under a false trunk floor, where the third seat would be if my car had that option (mine is a 2 row car, so it has a monstrous cavern under the trunk floor - great for a subwoofer, and - in college days - a few cases of beer!)

Yep. A LOT changed for 1971.

Auto Transport Service
Back