• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 GTX Rear End Dana or 8 3/4 sure grip

66 and up Hemi cars came equipped with a Dana if the car was 4 speed, and the tranny was an 18 spline. 67 and up 440 4 speed cars also all came with Dana's and an 18 spline transmission. All Danas came from the factory with 3.54 gears until 1969. The only gear ratios available in A GTX in 1967 were:

3.23s standard with a Torqueflite (8 3/4)
2.94s optional with a Torqueflite (8 3/4)
3.54s with the 4 speed (Dana)

Ok, I learned something.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm amending my earlier post as I was searching the net and found this......When the Street Hemi came out in 1966, the only differential you could get was the 8 3/4" unit. The Dana 60 became available in 1968, on 4-speed B-bodies. It was optional on the automatic models, as part of the "Super Track Pack" option. The only time that the Dana 60 was installed in an automatic-equipped Hemicar was when this option was ordered (4.10 gears were also part of the setup). As a rule, the automatic meant an 8 3/4" was installed, but there may be exceptions. These should be documentable from the trim tag (fender tag). The same is true about the 4-speed cars; the Dana 60 was specified with all Hemi-equipped 4-speed cars, and the "Track Pack" option was automatically part of the deal (3.54 gears are included). All Dana 60 differentials were equipped with limited slip; all "Track Pack" 8 3/4" diffs were also limited slip. 3.55 gears were a part of the option on the 8 3/4. The basic rule is this: 4-speed+ Hemi= Dana 60; Auto+ Hemi= 8 3/4".

Yes, it mounts the same or should. The pads for leaf springs are 44" center to center and the housing for 66-67 cars measures 54 1/4". If memory serves me correct the overall from flange to flange will be 59 1/2" You may need a different length drive shaft though, good luck.

Yes, the driveshaft is shorter for the Dana...

As far as what was available, and when, All I know is that my Dana was a 3:53 Power-Lock (clutches) with a date of 1966.

Is it my brain having a stroke or what, but I did more searching and found that 66 Hemi's had a dana if equiped with a 4spd, same also for 67's.

Ok, I learned something.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm amending my earlier post as I was searching the net and found this......When the Street Hemi came out in 1966, the only differential you could get was the 8 3/4" unit. The Dana 60 became available in 1968, on 4-speed B-bodies. It was optional on the automatic models, as part of the "Super Track Pack" option. The only time that the Dana 60 was installed in an automatic-equipped Hemicar was when this option was ordered (4.10 gears were also part of the setup). As a rule, the automatic meant an 8 3/4" was installed, but there may be exceptions. These should be documentable from the trim tag (fender tag). The same is true about the 4-speed cars; the Dana 60 was specified with all Hemi-equipped 4-speed cars, and the "Track Pack" option was automatically part of the deal (3.54 gears are included). All Dana 60 differentials were equipped with limited slip; all "Track Pack" 8 3/4" diffs were also limited slip. 3.55 gears were a part of the option on the 8 3/4. The basic rule is this: 4-speed+ Hemi= Dana 60; Auto+ Hemi= 8 3/4".

The Super Track Pack option didn't come out until 1969, and involved 4.10 gears. ALL 440 and Hemi cars came with a Dana if they were 4 speed. Torqueflite cars could come with a Dana in 69 and up if ordered with the Super Track Pack option (4.10 gears). I am not sure, however, on 69 and up cars if ordering the Track Pack option could be done with an automatic, which would provide a 3.54 Dana, or if one would have to order the High Performance Axle package, which was 3.55s in an 8 3/4 with their 440/Hemi Torqueflite car if they wanted gears in the 3 and a half range.

Any 440 car or Hemi car with a stick and an 8 3/4 produced in 1966 or after is an incorrect/rusty/hard to read tag, or a fluke, or just a complete fabrication. You would not have been able to order the car this way.

..... I am not sure, however, on 69 and up cars if ordering the Track Pack option could be done with an automatic, which would provide a 3.54 Dana, or if one would have to order the High Performance Axle package, which was 3.55s in an 8 3/4 with their 440/Hemi Torqueflite car if they wanted gears in the 3 and a half range.

Here is a listing for the axle packages available in 69 and 70 plus their correct names. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Coronet0023.jpg

Axle package options, and the correct name of the package, varied by year. Consult the proper data books on Hamtramck Historical to see what options were available for a specific year and application.

- - - Updated - - -

Any 440 car or Hemi car with a stick and an 8 3/4 produced in 1966 or after is an incorrect/rusty/hard to read tag, or a fluke, or just a complete fabrication. You would not have been able to order the car this way.

I agree. Any claims the contrary MUST have correct factory or dealer documentation to prove the assertion. Bad fender tags are made all the time. Bad tags with incorrect information are out there.

Yes, the driveshaft is shorter for the Dana...

As far as what was available, and when, All I know is that my Dana was a 3:53 Power-Lock (clutches) with a date of 1966.

What is the differance in size of driveshafts?? Cleyon

What is the differance in size of driveshafts?? Cleyon

I cannot say for sure, as my memory is foggy back that far, but it seems that it was 4-5 inches shorter. When I put the Dana shaft on the 8 3/4", it only grabbed about one inch of the output shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back