• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 B body 8 3/4 rear end value?

Scott Kiger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
so I bought a 68 Satellite parts car for my road runner build. Has a complete 8/34 rear end in it. I haven’t checked but I feel certain it isn’t a sure grip. Assuming that what’s it worth? Going to be selling a lid of parts off of this car going forward but I have someone wanting the rear diff.
IMG_7957.png

Last edited:
if someone local needs it, it's worth something..... other than that it's scrap

the 742 case is desirable, but heavy to ship..... and pretty much dime a dozen

I have 2 complete housings sitting here, they made the cut last scrap run

Last edited:
Should be able to call it 4-500 bucks? Depends on the market area

From what I have seen, the value of a third member for an 8 3/4 rear end happens in tiers. First tier, is it sure grip or open. Second tier, if it is a sure grip is it clutch type or cone. Third tier, gear ratio. Fourth tier, which unit, 741, 742, 489. And, having said that, third and fourth tier can probably be flipped.

It was probably 20 years ago or better that I sold one for 200 bucks with an open 3.23 and no drums. And they ain't a dime a dozen around here anymore. Lucky to just find one.

This is a complete diff. Drum to drum.
Check it out and see what the condition it's in. If it has a SG in it, it just adds value to it. Also, I'm good with the cone unit if that's what it has but if one side turns easy and the other side doesn't turn or goes in the opposite direction, chances are it's an open diff....but....I've seen them with a worn SG that did that and only knew it was a SG after opening things up. That's when you have to dig deeper to see if the worn SG is worth rebuilding. A cone unit can be machined to work well again but if the guts of it are hosed, then generally, it's junk. Some just keep on pouring the power to them thinking it'll start working again but they are only doing more damage to it. That also applies to the clutch units.

Anyways, if things are still good with good drums etc it just adds more value imo. There are many that want to ungrade to disc brakes so to them, good drums don't mean a hill of beans. Being it's a Satellite, it most likely has 10" drums and those are not expensive to replace. My area isn't exactly populated with Mopar folks so it might take some doings to get it sold locally but every now and then I run across someone that's building up something and shows up looking and if I had one (and I do) I'd start with 500 bucks at least. Like I said in another post, that stuff isn't just laying around here for the pickins these days.

first post he's assuming it's not a sure grip......... obviously a functional/usable sure grip is worth some coin

Check it out and see what the condition it's in. If it has a SG in it, it just adds value to it. Also, I'm good with the cone unit if that's what it has but if one side turns easy and the other side doesn't turn or goes in the opposite direction, chances are it's an open diff....but....I've seen them with a worn SG that did that and only knew it was a SG after opening things up. That's when you have to dig deeper to see if the worn SG is worth rebuilding. A cone unit can be machined to work well again but if the guts of it are hosed, then generally, it's junk. Some just keep on pouring the power to them thinking it'll start working again but they are only doing more damage to it. That also applies to the clutch units.

Anyways, if things are still good with good drums etc it just adds more value imo. There are many that want to ungrade to disc brakes so to them, good drums don't mean a hill of beans. Being it's a Satellite, it most likely has 10" drums and those are not expensive to replace. My area isn't exactly populated with Mopar folks so it might take some doings to get it sold locally but every now and then I run across someone that's building up something and shows up looking and if I had one (and I do) I'd start with 500 bucks at least. Like I said in another post, that stuff isn't just laying around here for the pickins these days.
Thanks. There are a lot of mopar people in my area but B body stuff isn’t easy to get anymore. All the four doors got crushed out several years ago when scrap went sky high. A lot of good two doors cars were lost too. Everyone wants to bitch and moan about people asking too much for their cars and parts nowadays, but they are just getting really hard to find anymore. It isn’t 1990 after all. I sold a nice passenger door for $500. Probably could have gotten more as nice as it was but I hated to ask alot more than that for it. I mean never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would pay what I paid for the Satty for a parts car, but all the one year only parts and the condition of the car itself made it viable. Alot of folks her local are giving me **** for making it a parts car actually, but it is what it is. My road runner needs alot of what it has and OEM parts are always better than stuff from Taiwan and China.

first post he's assuming it's not a sure grip......... obviously a functional/usable sure grip is worth some coin
It’s a Satty so I am figuring it’s not a sure grip. It was a 383 Sport Satty car though so I guess it’s possible, but I doubt it.

it is a nice car. It’s being sacrificed for the greater good though and will help a lot of other cars live again with all the parts I don’t end up needing.

IMG_7958.png

IMG_7951.png

Shame to hack it up, there are more Road Runners left than Sport Satellites.
After the clone bug bit a complete Sport model is pretty rare.

Shame to hack it up, there are more Road Runners left than Sport Satellites.
After the clone bug bit a complete Sport model is pretty rare.
My 68 RR is a numbers matching early 68 four speed with factory AC in one year only QQ1 Electric Blue. It deserves the stuff I need off of the Satty. Plus the Satty will help a lot of other cars live on as well when I sell everything I don’t need. The Satty is a complete car as far as rolling chassis go, but it didn’t come with the engine or trans. They were long gone.

My 68 RR is a numbers matching early 68 four speed with factory AC in one year only QQ1 Electric Blue. It deserves the stuff I need off of the Satty. Plus the Satty will help a lot of other cars live on as well when I sell everything I don’t need. The Satty is a complete car as far as rolling chassis go, but it didn’t come with the engine or trans. They were long gone.
Sounds like a nice rare Road Runner.
The parts sound like they are going to a good home.

Auto Transport Service
Back