• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX 440 4-Spd QQ1 S6B Restoration

Jarhead71

Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
I've been helping my buddy restore a 70 Super Bee. A few months after he got the Super Bee, he drug this 68 GTX home a couple months ago so there's more work to do. I'm originally a Pontiac guy, but I've really enjoyed learning about Mopars this past year. Here's the GTX.

1968 Plymouth GTX RS23L8A216044

1666405265876.png

CAR: Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop

ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8

TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift (A833 / 18 Spline)

TIRES: F70x14 Red Sidewall, Steel Belted

MODEL YEAR: 1968

BUILD DATE: January 22

AXLE: 3.54 Rear Axle Ratio Dana 60, Sure Grip

INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Light Blue Interior.

PAINT: Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth) / White Horizontal Sport Stripe.

OTHER: Frost Blue Metallic (Plymouth) Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS
: ABC OPTIONS: abc OPTIONS

• 19: Wide Sill Moldings A1: 26in Radiator a5: Center Front Seat w/folding armrest (Buddy Seat)
  • 25: Drip Rail Moldings P6: Rear Seat Speaker b4: Bucket Seats
  • 78: Wheel Lip Moldings R1: AM Radio m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
  • X1: Tinted Glass (all) u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)
The S6B blue interior is a bit tricky to restore as there seems to be several different shades of blue in the interior.

image000000 (1).jpg

image000000.jpg

The first thing I wanted to share with you guys is the Bahama Blue suede paint that I got from [email protected]. This product is really awesome. I used the one part aerosol cans. We wanted to try out the suede paint from 8774paint on the GTX before we used it on the Super Bee. The Super Bee's interior is black though. I know the original suede for the dash and column was Acrylic Lacquer, but that stuff is over $300 a pint. This suede from 8774paint has a really nice texture. It feels like sand paper, but I don't want to say 400 grit. Trust me, you will like the texture. The previous owner painted the dash, interior doors, and column QQ1, but that's not right. The suede finish for the dash and column should be Bahama Blue Polly 13449. I think the column turned out great. I didn't redo the brackets for the column yet. I wasn't sure what color they should be. I'm guessing all those brackets were gloss or semi-gloss black no matter the color of the interior. Can anyone confirm?

IMG_5413.jpg

The black column is for the 70 super bee. I tried to "fog" the paint over the original suede paint. It came out ok, but we really want to be better. I'll take it back apart and paint it with the can of Jewel Black Suede from 8774paint.

IMG_5414.jpg

QQ1 Electric Blue Poly exterior paint on everything... Uhhhh

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

What color should this bracket be?

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

What color should these brackets be?

IMG_5432.jpg

After it was taken fully apart, sanded, and painted with the Bahama Blue Polly Suede.

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5434.jpg

Original bearing in the front lower side. I just cleaned it up and greased it. Nice and smooth.

Last edited:
Plates & brackets are gloss black as you suspected.... Looks good..

Auto Transport Service
Back