• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX interior seat color S6N

104thLRSD

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Good morning Mopar experts. I have a question that maybe someone can answer. I have a 1968 GTX paint color code JJ1 ember gold metallic. The interior code is S6N.
I ordered new seat covers from legendary last year at Carlisle. They arrived yesterday. They are not what I ordered. They are mostly gold with black inserts. I thought they should be mostly black with gold inserts.
But as I search the inter-web I can only find the seat covers in that mostly gold color with S6N color assignment.
My door panels are black. Carpet and dash also black. Not sure if they are original or not. Appear to be original to something.
Does anyone know which is correct?
If I stay with the mostly gold should the door panels be gold too?
Or did they mix and match back in the day?
Legendary lists both.
Ill attach pics.
Black with gold welt is what I ordered
Gold with black insert is what I received.

F652AA8A-F0EB-4CDD-805D-BEA49BBF99B6.jpeg

CB77A6E9-B814-4653-9329-7955728D58D3.jpeg

Check out the color & trim guides at the Hamtramck_Historical site.
All the '68 GTX/Sport sat bucket interiors I can recall - since the cars were new - had darker bolsters & lighter inserts.
But I can't recall a black & gold combo.
I've seen a few repro covers that had the dark/light either backwards, or all the same color, so some guys are "free-styling", like they do with the base RR door cards: they were a single color, not 2-tones, like several places sell.

Go with it. Dont wait another year to get the other ones. Nobody will know the difference. Enjoy the car and drive it with what you have.

Yup, top is bolsters, 2nd is accent, 3rd is inserts ("stripes" on GTX/Sport Satellite).
So, your bottom photo is correct, and the gold bolsters should not be darker - as they are with green and red seats - let alone black.
Funny thing is, I didn't recall the blue seats being nearly all the same color, until I recalled a buddy's Dad's '68 demo...

Thank you. I appreciate the help. Ill stay with the ones I got and get the gold door panels next year. If any of you go to carlisle stop over and say hello.

Thank you. I appreciate the help. Ill stay with the ones I got and get the gold door panels next year. If any of you go to carlisle stop over and say hello.
I will see you there. Good call, enjoy your gtx now. It doesn’t need to be oem perfect. Coming from a guy who has owned seven of them.

Auto Transport Service
Back