• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Satellite Sport Wheel Info/Advice

tjf1980

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, finally got my survivor Sat running. Now to get it rolling with some steelies and dog dishes. On the cheap hopefully. Having a tough time digging anything up. Right now all I have are 4 mismatched 14x5 junk wheels.

Looking like I will need the optional or wagon 14x5.5 wheels to fit a modern size tire that's not a donut? All the 215/70R14ish tires I see spec a 5.5" wheel min.

I do have 2 early 70s Kelsey 14x6 Mopar wheels I picked up. 4" BS. They are tight on a arm clearance in the front at full lock(1/16" at the wheel rim). Anyone ran those on the front with success? Or maybe run those on the rear and pick up 2 5.5" wheels?

I did find a set of 15" police wheels but not sure what the backspacing is or if they will fit. Appear factory. And on the other side of the state. Anyone have experience fitting those on a 68? Or know the width and BS?

New to Mopars and starting from nothing so any help is appreciated. Or spare wheels collecting dust in your garage would be even better....

Just about any factory 14 or 15 inch steel wheel will fit if it came from a rear wheel drive car or truck. Jeeps often had much more backspacing but they bolt on.
You'll find the tire selection for 15 inch wheels to be a bit better than 14".
A good wheel is a 15 x 7 from a mid to late 80s Fifth Avenue. They have almost equal front/back spacing (Centered) and fit everything.

Jiggy tire 1.jpg

1980's M body 5th Ave wheels are still relatively easy to find at u-pull yards.

They must have sold a TON of those cars.
There are still two driving around in my area, and I see 1-3 a year at salvage yards.

...but be careful as the 4 road wheels were 15x7 but the spare was 15x6.
Apparently most folks never noticed and nearly every one I've come across has three 15x7 and one 15x6 on the road and no spare.
I made a cheap rim caliper from cardboard and a screw. Works just like the "real" ones.
Mark it using known 6 and 7 inch wide rims.

F body and M body Diplomats and Furies (and T&C wagons) could have 15x7 as an option, but IIRC came with 15x6 standard.

...and no, any RWD steelie does not fit on the Mopar axle and hub register.
Ford wheels have the same bolt pattern, but the register hole is smaller is one classic example.

Thanks for tip. I had no idea there was anything worth while under those horrendous wheel covers. That will help my search.

Auto Transport Service
Back