• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 GTX AC duct removal

albert 5694

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
Hello i was told in order to remove my thumb wheel radio out of my 1969 GTX i need to remove the duct work for the air conditioning that feeds the center dash vents see pictures i was looking threw all the post and have not had any luck finding anybody that can give me some kind of a guided direction on how to remove the duct work do i have to unbolt the part that has the ducting going from left to right it looks like this part also feeds the center dash vents. Any help and guidance on how to remove this part comes out so i can get my radio out would be greatly appreciated.

20210531_151905.jpg 20210531_151919.jpg

You may be able to access what you need on the radio by taking the glove box out. If not, remove the passenger side AC distribution duct from the plenum, then unscrew the distribution plenum, remove it towards the passenger side, pull down and to the right, this will remove it from the left side duct work. Once that piece is removed, take out the phillips screw that is shown in your picture holding the silver tab, the center duct will pull straight down and come out. Assembly is reverse order.

Thanks i don't think i can remove the glove box from what i have read it has to come out the back and i read that it wont come out the back without destroying it due to clearance am i wrong. I will try and do the plenum removal when i get ready to do this i think it looks like it is just screwed to the main box with 4 to 6 screws and then what you are telling me is i take the screw out of the silver angle bracket and the center vent duct comes out. Dose this just remove the ducting and leave the louvers in the dash i assume.

On a second note if i remove the plenum is there any kind of gaskets seals or cables / hoses that i need to be worried about do i need to watch out for anything like that It dose not look like i have to dig in to it that far

Its all pretty simple. The plenum is attached with 4/6 screws. You'll have to wiggle it a bit to the passenger side to disengage it from the drivers side duct work. Pull it towards you while doing so, because the AC door on the heater box is wide open in the OFF position so it will hamper your work a bit. The center duct work just falls down when the screw is removed, the vents will stay in the dash. There is one thick foam gasket that goes between the plenum and center duct, you'll see it, its pretty hard to miss.

Auto Transport Service
Back