• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 roadrunner fuel sending unit

paul1969cars

Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
I replaced my fuel sending unit with a stainless steel one. Its shown here on the left. The one I took out is on the right. Looks pretty much the same. The one i took out had blue wire that ran in the tank. the replacement one has a black bar. Was the one i took out an original?

When it was mounted on the tank, I found this small 5" or so bar that clamped to the sending unit and to the fuel line. I assume this was a stock piece and is a ground? I assume it needs to be there? If so, were all the cars the same as having this piece?
IMG_6493.jpg
IMG_6494.jpg
IMG_6489.jpg

The black piece is just a replacement for a wire, you’re good. The other piece that clamps to the sending unit nipple and to the steel fuel line in for grounding the tank.

Did the old one work? If so, I want it. :)

Ok, fine, I'll level with you. It's a well-known thing in our b-body world that no one
makes a decent reproduction sending unit for our cars - all inaccurate Chinese junk.
If that other one is a working unit, have it rebuilt or refurbed or whatever and use it again.

Did the old one work? If so, I want it. :)

Ok, fine, I'll level with you. It's a well-known thing in our b-body world that no one
makes a decent reproduction sending unit for our cars - all inaccurate Chinese junk.
If that other one is a working unit, have it rebuilt or refurbed or whatever and use it again.
Thanks

I wont throw it out. i will see how it works. other one never read full tank

Thanks

I wont throw it out. i will see how it works. other one never read full tank
As stated above, the new ones are inaccurate and junk. On my now sold 66 Ply Sat, I did a complete replacement of my fuel system and purchased a new sending unit to replace the old one. After install, it never worked and always read between 1/2 and 3/4's tank. I took that one out, disassembled the original old one, cleaned it and polished it up. Replaced the float and ops checked it before re-installing it in the tank. Worked perfect and the new one? Well it was some time ago, so I do not remember what I did with it. With some refreshing, those original send units will work forever...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Looks like your going from a 3/8 line with return to a 5/16 w/no return?

As stated above, the new ones are inaccurate and junk. On my now sold 66 Ply Sat, I did a complete replacement of my fuel system and purchased a new sending unit to replace the old one. After install, it never worked and always read between 1/2 and 3/4's tank. I took that one out, disassembled the original old one, cleaned it and polished it up. Replaced the float and ops checked it before re-installing it in the tank. Worked perfect and the new one? Well it was some time ago, so I do not remember what I did with it. With some refreshing, those original send units will work forever...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
me 2.... working on one now...... hope it works as well.
Thanks cr8crshr :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back