• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Superbird value ?

repsol17

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Pretty new to this forum (been more lurk'n). I'm involved on a 1st gen Camaro forum as I own a true 69 Z28.

Is anyone familiar with this '70 bird out of a small town in the Northeast? I'm interest in possibly trying to purchase just not 100% on it's current value. I've seen values between $75K-$180K, of course this is based on condition.

Some history: One owner it's entire life and was his pride and joy, purchased out of Daytona, Fl with approx 42K original miles. Garaged, one small surface rust area on the hood from a paint chip. Zero body damage or rust. Had been repainted in the '80's and recently new seat upholstery. All big items are original except like the valve covers.

It's not the most popular one, It's the "U" code engine with black buckets and auto on the column.

Hope this helps, looking for an idea so I can make a final decision

Thanks in advance
Darrell

Superbird RM23UOA175658-1.jpg Superbird RM23UOA175658-7.jpg Superbird RM23UOA175658-2.jpg Superbird RM23UOA175658-4.jpg Superbird RM23UOA175658-6.jpg Superbird RM23UOA175658-5.jpg

Last edited:
It has the 130 to 150k range vibe
To me
But I'm far from a expert
Nice looking bird
If it was in Daytona in the 90''s I think I've seen it at a show

Looks like the unicorn version of a Bird. The Driver.
For what you are going to pay, I would invest the $2500 or so to have the car inspected. I want to see and verify documentation. I want to know the history of the car. I want to know the date codes EI what service parts have been changed.
And after that, my price is 60% based on condition.

Answer these my questions three and thee shall pass my bridge.

The trunk's been repainted and whoever did it didn't care about masking off the wing supports or even removing the jack. WhenI see things like this, it makes me wonder how the rest of the car looks.

712282-1811c0be3b5dfe98bf19d435368d0ce4.jpg

It has the 130 to 150k range vibe
To me
But I'm far from a expert
Nice looking bird
If it was in Daytona in the 90''s I think I've seen it at a show
I'm sorry, it was purchased new out of Daytona, Fl in March '70. Then driven up north and stayed in the small town it currently resides in. The original owner just passed away and it's with the family now. The family would rather keep it but could also use the money from its sale.

Looks like the unicorn version of a Bird. The Driver.
For what you are going to pay, I would invest the $2500 or so to have the car inspected. I want to see and verify documentation. I want to know the history of the car. I want to know the date codes EI what service parts have been changed.
And after that, my price is 60% based on condition.

Answer these my questions three and thee shall pass my bridge.
Yes I'm waiting for more doc's and any repair orders that was done to it. And I would have inspected for sure.

Wow. A one owner bird is probably quite rare. It looks like a well cared for surviver.

I'm waiting for the repair receipts pics. Seller having trouble scanning/emailing to me so he's mailing copies out tomorrow. He advised nothing major has been replaced and it still retains everything, even has one original tire as well as the orig. valve covers.

Original owner kept everything.

Here's the Broadcast sht, shipment memorandum and window sticker.

Dealer was Massey-Chapman 300 N Beach St, Daytona FL

Superbird RM23UOA175658-10.jpg Superbird RM23UOA175658-11.jpg Superbird RM23UOA175658-13.jpg

If you know what you are looking at, you owe it to yourself to invest the time and air fare go and see it in person.

You mentioned that the car is in the Northeast. If this car is in eastern MA, southern NH or RI, I'd be willing to go check it out for you.

If that is the original documentation for the car, I say that adds 5K to the value. No rust is a big plus. Under the hood pictures would be very helpful. The trunk was resprayed with little caution, so how the engine compartment looks is critical. The numbers on the car influence the value the most for me. Also current operating condition. I would access the retail value by taking the value of a #2 car and deducting the costs involved in putting it in that condition. As far as buying is concerned I would offer between 60-80% of the figure you come up with.

Just be careful. lots of salt in Florida, and 1980's restos weren't as good.

The trunk's been repainted and whoever did it didn't care about masking off the wing supports or even removing the jack. WhenI see things like this, it makes me wonder how the rest of the car looks.

View attachment 784142

Typical 80''s work. Lol
I would expect that and more
Still a well documented
Number matching car
Has that vibe to me
Probably to the low end of my guess
Fix a few detail things
And I would be at the high road
It has the right color.
People get a big hard on from it
And they will paint any mopar with it...lol

If you know what you are looking at, you owe it to yourself to invest the time and air fare go and see it in person.

You mentioned that the car is in the Northeast. If this car is in eastern MA, southern NH or RI, I'd be willing to go check it out for you.
The car is in Pa. Been garage most entirely it's entire life. Was only purchased in Fl and taken to Pa. Was title in Pa in May '70

Superbird RM23UOA175658a.jpg

The car is in Pa. Been garage most entirely it's entire life. Was only purchased in Fl and taken to Pa. Was title in Pa in May '70

View attachment 784224

Looks like no attempt at paint work under the hood. A plus in my opinion. Also from what you have shown, if drivetrain is numbers matching I would say 90-110 retail.

Auto Transport Service
Back