• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-73 chargers.

trc54

Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
What do you guys predict the chargers being worth someday? I've personally still got the 73 400#S matching BB. Will these cars ever be what the 68-70s?

any reason you didn't include the 74 charger? they are almost identical to the 73. I will say that you will always have those that think they are made out of gold , and those that are reasonable when selling. not all 68-70 chargers are worth what people think they are worth. its all relative. IMO, the 71 and 72 chargers will always be more desirable than the 73 and 74. I don't see the 73 and 74 chargers ever reaching any kind of real value, but value is also what someone is willing to pay for them.

I agree with super77se on the thought that you will have tiers of value based on the desirability of a model/year. I ended up with two 71 SEs because it was cheaper to buy one almost built rather than to correctly build one up. My original 71 build project is 90% complete in parts including a 440 but will still be around $20k to get a ground up done on it. At this point in time that is too big of a gamble in case I have to get my money back. So that one is going in to deep storage while I drive another 71 SE with a 383 that just needs some interior work. Maybe by the time I get to the project 71 the value will be more than it is now but will never reach the 68-70 years. You also see the same price dip in Chevy and Ford products the further away you get from the late 60s.

3rd generation charger's (71-74) seem to be on the rise but I don't see them ever overtaking the iconic 68-70s. 3rd gen's no matter how cool they were, were late to the party and the era of the supercar was already on the decline. If dodge had come out with this body style in '70 it would be interesting to see how collectors would have looked at the car today some forty years later.

I've seen a run of 71-74 Chargers recently. For years I didn't see any for sale around here, and now we have six within a couple hours drive of me. Looks like now that car values are dropping, people are starting to get rid of their project cars.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys predict the chargers being worth someday? I've personally still got the 73 400#S matching BB. Will these cars ever be what the 68-70s?

Not in today's market. 1972 is widely recognized as the end of the muscle car era for Mopars, but that's just one aspect of the market. Now that the restoration market is on it's way to the junkyard and being replaced by the resto-mod market, the pre-1972/post-1972 debate might very well end and cars will start to be valued more on their styling than the performance of their engines.

I liken the 72-74 Chargers (please note that 71 is already quite valuable) to the 58-60 bel-air/impala.

Never the equal of the 55-57, but will almost assuredly rise in value.

Now that the restoration market is on it's way to the junkyard and being replaced by the resto-mod market, the pre-1972/post-1972 debate might very well end and cars will start to be valued more on their styling than the performance of their engines.

I don't think so I believe their will always be a strong restoration market I also believe the Restomod market will also keep right on going.....
Hot rodding is alive and well in America Fads come and go like the days of Prostreet resto rods are just another Fad of Hot rodding culture. Their will always be guys with 23 T buckets just like every one will always argue who had the fastest production car just like their will always be Purists that say original and the Hotrodder and The truly whacky Customize-rs thank God one size doesn't fit all!

73 was the most popular year when new according to build stats, followed by 68 then 69. So who knows.
Because the 2nd gen was used most in film, most recognisable. I have a 67 and 73, so what does that tell ya?
Then again as stated, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
index.php

I have noticed that the younger crowd likes these years more than I. I started to dispose of the red '73 SE 400 ci. I have had for ever. My wife says to me "Your youngest son is gonna hate you". I said...Why?... (she) well out of all your Mopars he has always wanted that one. I said well that makes about five of my cars he wants. So I asked him and she was correct (man I hate it when she's right now I'll have to take her out for dinner or shopping or something).

I reckon that one will be Ted's Charger in the not to distant future. And i have enough spare parts to make it a lot faster. I suppose he'll get some of those as well. Ted is 30 y.o..

My first car was a '73 Charger SE Brougham. B5 w/white top and blue cloth interior. Just a 318 automatic car. All that said, I've been trying to find another decent one for 5-6 years now. I'd love to have one as my daily driver. Everthing I've found is junk, or overpriced. I'll keep looking...

I don't think so I believe their will always be a strong restoration market I also believe the Restomod market will also keep right on going.....
Hot rodding is alive and well in America Fads come and go like the days of Prostreet resto rods are just another Fad of Hot rodding culture. Their will always be guys with 23 T buckets just like every one will always argue who had the fastest production car just like their will always be Purists that say original and the Hotrodder and The truly whacky Customize-rs thank God one size doesn't fit all!

There are two different restoration markets: the commercial and the hobbyists. It's been the commercial guys who've been driving things for the past 30 or so years and they are now dropping out as the market collapses back down to where it should be, which is in the control of the hobbyists. This is why the big block B body project cars that were selling for big bucks a few years ago are now in the $4,000 and less range, which is where they should be.

There are two different restoration markets: the commercial and the hobbyists. It's been the commercial guys who've been driving things for the past 30 or so years and they are now dropping out as the market collapses back down to where it should be, which is in the control of the hobbyists. This is why the big block B body project cars that were selling for big bucks a few years ago are now in the $4,000 and less range, which is where they should be.
I don't think places like Barrett Jackson and the like are helping either. People watch these shows and think these clones are worth a fortune when anyone who knows their car model can readily pick out non-correct things in minutes.

No matter what way you cut it , it is personal preference I love my 73 rallye . When this car comes back home and she is all back together I will be sending a email to the boss of the forum to see if I can put my whole restored of my 73 .. I am disabled and this is my project .to help me get through day to day . I know my car might not get the price of a he I super bird but ask the person besides you who makes the negative comment about your car ! What the hell do you drive . Personal preference ...buff said ...I love my 73 Charger rally ....

Auto Transport Service
Back