• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 charger console shifter question

Moparkrazed

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys! I finally got my charger in my name and starting to buy parts. I purchased a center console today because the price was too good to pass up. My charges currently a column shift but going to change that. My question is will the shifter (part that has pnrd21 and the actual shifter) from a 72-73 challenger work? I like the T shingle grip better but I don’t have and was unsure if what I have would even work when I install the rest of the shifter parts. Thanks for the advice.
Oh and does anyone know if all 71-74 charger front glass and rear glass trim are interchangeable?

shifter (part that has pnrd21 and the actual shifter) from a 72-73 challenger work? Yes they are the same.

if all 71-74 charger front glass and rear glass trim are interchangeable? Yes it will fit but there are subtle differences in the lower front cowl trim and the rear trim will be stainless or aluminum as they used aluminum in '73-'74..

shifter (part that has pnrd21 and the actual shifter) from a 72-73 challenger work? Yes they are the same.

if all 71-74 charger front glass and rear glass trim are interchangeable? Yes it will fit but there are subtle differences in the lower front cowl trim and the rear trim will be stainless or aluminum as they used aluminum in '73-'74..
Thanks quick! You’re awesome. I appreciate letting me know. Do you know if the the T handle will attach to the shaft part of the shifter ( if that makes sense). Thanks again for your help and feed back.

I have some parts for a Slap Stick shifter
Awesome man! I might get back to you on some parts. As of right now the only part I have is the shifter and the console and the shifter I need to put eyes on as I’ve not seen it in a couple of years haha. It’s in my parts bucket but haven’t had a reason to mess with it.

Thanks quick! You’re awesome. I appreciate letting me know. Do you know if the the T handle will attach to the shaft part of the shifter ( if that makes sense). Thanks again for your help and feed back.
Yes as long as it's a T type shifter which is square where the plastic slides over..

Most people forget that there is a pivot bushing bracket on the transmission on a console equipped car, that's not on a column shifted car.

They are reproduced, though.

That is IF the transmission gets the bracket provision, because some don’t

adding some differences about glass trim. 71s with full top got grain textured trim, to match with vinyl texture.

IIRC, were 74s made in anodized Aluminium, but 73s still on SS…

about T handles… some late models (74s), got the round ball shifter and I THINK these won’t accept the T handle on the shifter mecanism. I can be wrong thought. The hole for the shifter indicator plate is of course also made to match this, round instead square.

Last edited:

adding some differences about glass trim. 71s with full top got grain textured trim, to match with vinyl texture.

about T handles… some late models (74s), got the round ball shifter and I THINK these won’t accept the T handle on the shifter mecanism. I can be wrong thought. The hole for the shifter indicator plate is of course also made to match this, round instead square.
Thanks nacho. Yeah after looking closer at photos and looking at what I have the T handle won’t work. Mine has the oval ball with the button on top. Good news is I have an about 5,000 other things to do before I start looking for that shifter. One of the fellas earlier said he had some parts on here so I might reach out to him and start a wanted add. Im waiting on an estimate for seats to be shipped along with a couple other parts so after I have those I might be in the market haha. Thanks again for the post I really appreciate the feedback.

I have seen some late 73's with Aluminum that's why I posted that but who knows if original never looked in the parts book to see when the change over occurred as they were already using aluminum for the door belt and V top trim in '73. Doesn't really matter as the trim fits either way.

I have seen some late 73's with Aluminum that's why I posted that but who knows if original never looked in the parts book to see when the change over occurred as they were already using aluminum for the door belt and V top trim in '73. Doesn't really matter as the trim fits either way.
I didn't know there was a change over date. All of my 73's had aluminum.

I didn't know there was a change over date. All of my 73's had aluminum.
I had 2 73's with Stainless. A Sebring plus and a 340 Road Runner never checked build date could have been just early ones using left over trim..

Auto Transport Service
Back