• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 bench seat car owners...

What’s up dock

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
I'm curious. I'm starting dis-assembly of a 72 gtx, and while trying to locate the build sheet, I noticed the underside of the front bench seat. No burlap. The rear has it. Original car, even carpet, so it hasn't been replaced.

No bench seat owners? I guess when they switched the seat foam to the internal metal listing wire, they omitted the burlap.

I'm curious. I'm starting dis-assembly of a 72 gtx, and while trying to locate the build sheet, I noticed the underside of the front bench seat. No burlap. The rear has it. Original car, even carpet, so it hasn't been replaced.
It is open underneath. Can see the springs and foam. Bought mine unrestored in 1985. Don't think my back had anything either.

Im sure there are plenty of bench seat owners like me that just don't remember if the burlap was/was not used when built at the time. I recovered my 72 bench myself but did not notice anything unusual. My car was a 43k original and the foam and frames were in good, reusable condition. Ill check and see if I can tell.

I have an original, untouched-like new bench from a ’72 Satellite Sebring, foam pad with listing wires molded into it, sitting directly on the springs, no burlap. The bucket cushions from my ’72 RR/GTX were the same way.

Thanks guys. 1972 must have been the first year for the internal listing wires, so they stopped the burlap. I thought it was later on, like 74 when that started.

Auto Transport Service
Back