• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 1973 Plymouth Road Runner - 400 CU 727, FY1 Lemon Twist, Suregrip, 200+ Pictures

RockyPat

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
1973 Plymouth Road Runner For Sale
Car is located in Los Banos, California 93635
Price: $9,800 OBO OR eBay Link
Payment Methods Accepted: Cash or Bank Wire Transfer
Google Photos Link: 200+ Pictures & Videos

Vehicle Description:

1973 Plymouth Road Runner factory equipped with a 400 4BBL/727 3-speed automatic transmission. The Road Runner’s original color is the High Impact “FY1” Lemon Twist yellow. The car came equipped with white “V8W” transverse stripes and “G36” dual racing mirrors. The car featured a “tuxedo” style interior with its white seats, panels, and headliner and black dash pad, carpet, and steering wheel (factory column shift). The car presents as mostly original and is a solid builder/driver while restoring candidate.

Google Photos link containing 200+ photos and videos of the car: 200+ Pictures & Videos

The Road Runner is currently powered by a 1967 383. The car has its numbers matching 727 3-speed automatic transmission. New spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, coil, ECM, and battery were purchased to give the vehicle a tune up. The car runs and “yard drives” as per the videos. All 4 tires hold air. The car has an 8 ¾ rear end and a 489 Suregrip unit. The gearing is assumed to be 3.23. Included with the vehicle is a period correct 1972 400 HP motor that is standard bore and is buildable.

The car still retains some of its original “FY1” Lemon Twist paint. The car has some rust in the trunk, lower quarter panels, rear trunk filler, and interior floor pan. Solid front and rear frame rails. Front disc brakes are present. Mostly straight body with some smaller dents/blemishes shown in the pictures. Original fender tag is present and readable. Build sheet has not been found behind rear seats. The car is missing its passenger taillight, passenger rear marker light, and passenger door mirror. The car’s passenger door was replaced at some point. Straight front grille, front bumper, and rear bumper. All 4-wheel moldings are still present. Dual exhausts are retained on the car. Front and rear sway bars. Straight hood with both inserts. Lights and turn signals work properly apart from the missing rear taillight. All glass is in good condition besides the front windshield. Door glass rolls up/down properly on both sides. All keys and locks function properly.

The car features a rally gauge cluster with the 150 MPH speedometer. The gauge cluster is in very nice condition. Speedometer and alternator gauges are working. Steering wheel still retains its Road Runner badge and is in good shape. Column shifter and linkage are working properly. Dash pad has a small number of cracks. Original door panels are present. Plastic panels are present as well but have started to deteriorate over time. All seats (2 front bucket seats, front buddy seat, and rear bench seat) are present in the vehicle. Front seat frames and hardware/tracks are functioning properly. All seatbelts (originally black) are present. The original black carpet can be seen in the pictures. Driver side door displays Chrysler VIN sticker that matches the vehicle’s VIN. Headliner has been removed from the vehicle and inner roof has some surface rust.

The car retains its original “400 4BBL” dual snorkel air cleaner and Chrysler windshield washer reservoir. Two purple, original Road Runner horns are still present but not working properly. Original AC car. AC equipment was previously removed, but OEM unit from a different car is included. Aftermarket clutch fan has been added. Engine bay presents as mostly original besides the engine being swapped at one point and the AC equipment being removed.

Clean California title in my name. Vehicle is currently on Non-Op registration. Vehicle comes with 2 sets of keys.

Additional items that are included with the car:
New-in-box Champion “CC503” 28-inch radiator made specifically for 1973/74 B-bodies with the 28” radiator option.
New Interstate battery from Costco dated “4/24”.
Road Runner floor mats.
FELPRO MS 96007 gasket(s).
Spare tire.
Miscellaneous small parts/extras.

Fender Tag Decoded:

RM21: Plymouth Belvedere, Satellite Medium, Road Runner 2 Door Coupe
P3G: 400 260HP (net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

11729: Sequence number

E68: 400 cid 4-barrel V8 High Performance
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
FY1: Lemon Twist Exterior Color
D6SW: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Unknown Color
EW1: Eggshell White (Dodge) Int. Door Frames
920: Build Date: September 20
125003: Order number

FY1: Lemon Twist Top Color
U: USA Specifications
A88: Interior Decor Group
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
C21: Center Front Seat Cushion
C56: Bucket Seats

G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G36: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M26: Wheel Lip Moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust

N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
V8W: Transverse Stripes, White
28: 28” Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

Please PM/comment if you have any questions! I am happy to help clarify anything.

I can assist with transportation if needed.

Thank you for your interest.

IMG_9465.jpg

What is the serial number/VIN number of the 400 block/motor that you have? I assume it is different than the original that came with the car. I am looking for a particular 1972 HP 400 with the correct serial number. I looked through your nice collection of photos and did not see that one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What is the serial number/VIN number of the 400 block/motor that you have? I assume it is different than the original that came with the car. I am looking for a particular 1972 HP 400 with the correct serial number. I looked through your nice collection of photos and did not see that one.

Thanks!
Hello! Thanks for looking at my listing. The serial number is: 3698630-400-6 and the date code is 3-30-72.

Thanks for that--but is that the number along the oil pan rail, or a different number?

That was the casting number.
He's asking about the VIN that is stamped down by the oil pan rail

Thanks for that--but is that the number along the oil pan rail, or a different number?
I do not have any pictures of the VIN number on my phone, and I do not know the VIN number off hand. I can get the VIN number to you if the car does not sell as a bundle. I am looking to include all parts with the car for now.

I can follow up if I decide to sell different parts separately. Thank you.

05/19/2024 Update:

Price has been lowered to $7,500 FIRM.

Note: Period correct 1972 400 HP motor is *not* included at the $7,500 price.

I'm still interested in the VIN number on the oil pan rail of the 1972 400 HP motor if you get a chance. Thanks.

I'm still interested in the VIN number on the oil pan rail of the 1972 400 HP motor if you get a chance. Thanks.
Hello, Yes.

I have not forgot about your ask. Sorry, I have not gotten to it yet.

Please check out the picture above.

VIN stamping looks to be 2A195181

Thank you for checking. Looking for 2A167135. But that is darn close!

Auto Transport Service
Back