• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Road Runner Federal power steering bracket space

flamesoldier

Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
Is there any reason why a 1974 400 big block federal power steering bracket brand new has this much of a space on back side where bolt fastens? Also anyone have bolt spec for that bolt that goes through water pump housing?
23C69489-B7E6-450A-924F-4361A774C5AB.jpeg

That spacer on the bolt next to it doesn't look right.

Is it for a 73 and up, or a 72 and down? The water pump housings and PS brackets changed.

Mark

That spacer on the bolt next to it doesn't look right.
There are spacers on the what i assume is the air conditioner power steering bracket, that bracket is a little off causing the belt to slip off, so i got non ac big block federal bracket up to 72, so the spacers shouldn’t be there?

In 72 the lower hose moved from the drivers side to the passengers side, this caused the PS bracket to change. I've seen 72 cars with both styles that appear origanal, so I usually say 73 and up for the passenger side inlet hose. An older bracket with the newer housing (or vise versa) will cause problems.

Mark

It looks like if i remove the spacers it might line up the pulley just right, are those spacers on there stock? Like i said im converting it from ac car to non ac car so i changed all the pulleys to non ac pulleys

Auto Transport Service
Back