• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Cordoba Battery hold down

real0803

Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1976 Cordoba and I'm having a hard time with finding a OEM battery hold down. Does anyone have a photo of all the parts . All the hold downs I purchased from auto places do not fit . So I will post a pictire soon. So from what I have there is a clamp down on the long side top side of the battery than hooks to the bottom . The front hook comes over the top of the battery and slides through the hold towards you if you are standing in front of the headlights. I think I may be missing a piece . Think of like a right angle brace .

my 77. top bracket is factory.
IMG_4052.JPG

I have a 1976 Cordoba and I'm having a hard time with finding a OEM battery hold down. Does anyone have a photo of all the parts . All the hold downs I purchased from auto places do not fit . So I will post a pictire soon. So from what I have there is a clamp down on the long side top side of the battery than hooks to the bottom . The front hook comes over the top of the battery and slides through the hold towards you if you are standing in front of the headlights. I think I may be missing a piece . Think of like a right angle brace .
Yes, most Mopars have a tray with a brace underneath. The hold down goes over the battery top and is held down with 2 unequal length threaded hooks.

Boy you're making me think waaay back now. I had a bunch of those Cordobas. If I recall there was a cream coloured cover that went over the entire battery to kind of protect it. The cover had some kind of name on it, like "Battery Thermo-Guard" or something like that. You had to remove the battery terminals, then the hold-down bolts, then the cover would lift off, then you could remove the battery. Pretty sure I'm right on this. I'd bet 5 bucks the picture above shows a generic battery hold-down from a cheap parts store.

The Thermo-Guard was a plastic housing which covered the battery. Depending on the year, it may be different. For example, my 79 incorporates a W/S fluid resevoir.

My 78 Monaco Police has the thermo guard. It is the washer fluid tank.
Not sure when they started using these though. Might be in 76 it wasn't a thing yet.

The picture Casey posted looks correct to me.

Yes, most Mopars have a tray with a brace underneath. The hold down goes over the battery top and is held down with 2 unequal length threaded hooks.
Although in the 70's they started with one j-bolt to the tray and the other end of the hold-down straight across the top through the baffle of the rad support.

Although in the 70's they started with one j-bolt to the tray and the other end of the hold-down straight across the top through the baffle of the rad support.
Ya, good thing I said "most". I have owned many older Mopars and haven't owned any that didn't have 2 hold down bolts. Not saying they didn't use the other style.

Cars through 76 had 2 hold downs from what I see.

Ya, good thing I said "most". I have owned many older Mopars and haven't owned any that didn't have 2 hold down bolts. Not saying they didn't use the other style.
Indeed. They didn't change the design until the 70's. There was a regular type hold-down, where the one end went straight to the rad support and bolted there. Also, the same configuration used with a thermo-guard.

Cars through 76 had 2 hold downs from what I see.
Sometime around then... I worked on so many different cars, sometimes I actually think of something was on one brand of a car, when it was on a different car ! But, one thing was certain. I hated the big, ugly Ford bumpers.

I almost have my 76 up and running but the battery is not charging . I had the alternator rebuilt .I swapped the voltage regulator out and change the negative wire because of corrosion. I need to locate the firewall bulkhead connector and see if there is corrosion , do you know where on the firewall it's located ? Have any of you added a bypass wire around that block ? W

Also do you think the ammeter may be the issue ? I was told if it is the ammeter to run a shunt wire from alternator output to battery positive .

My voltage when the car is on is at 12.87v when I turn on the headlights and AC it goes to 9.5v

The Thermo-Guard was a plastic housing which covered the battery. Depending on the year, it may be different. For example, my 79 incorporates a W/S fluid resevoir.
I just had my son 3D print me one like that. He's finishing up the final adjustments on it now

Thermoguard Washer Resivoir.jpg

What is that ? Made of what ? By the way, I think the style with the W/S tank is only on 79, maybe 78 models ?

What is that ? Made of what ? By the way, I think the style with the W/S tank is only on 79, maybe 78 models ?
It's 3D printed with PLA filament. I have a 1979 300 so it's what I need. I'm sure it would fit other years as well. I needed a W/S tank and based on my research this is what mine would have had. I found an old broken one we used as a model to make this one.

It's 3D printed with PLA filament. I have a 1979 300 so it's what I need. I'm sure it would fit other years as well. I needed a W/S tank and based on my research this is what mine would have had. I found an old broken one we used as a model to make this one.
No idea what that first sentence is. Yes, it's correct for a 79. Fit, yes, but the wiring for the pump would not be there.

Auto Transport Service
Back