• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3-point retractable seat belts

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Stay away from Seatbelt Planet. They don't stand behind their mistakes and will make you pay to fix their mistakes. BTW, the universal seatbelt retractors are China junk. They retract way to fast at first, then slow down and stop before they are fully retracted.

I used the Wesco belts on my Barracuda, and was happy with them.

int 47 (2).JPG

I used the Wesco belts on my Barracuda, and was happy with them.

View attachment 1527866

Thanks for the picture.

I see where the retractor is mounted & is there a bracket that comes with the kit? I've seen some belt kits that have a "drop down" piece that attaches to the mount on the roof rail. Does yours have that because it almost looks like the chest belt would come across your neck.

I made a bracket to mount the retractor to the rear floor. I saw the drop down piece you mentioned, but honestly the belt fit fine in my car without it. I think it might be needed in trucks or sedans with a higher roof.

int 42.JPG

int 43.JPG

int 46.JPG

int 15.JPG

I never had an issue. This is the only picture I could find of me belted in the car. I guess you could always order the extension, and then decide whether you need it or not.

3rd run.jpg

I've seen some belt kits that have a "drop down" piece that attaches to the mount on the roof rail. Does yours have that because it almost looks like the chest belt would come across your neck.

They call that a 'shoulder loop'. I bought the extended one because that's what my car came with and I thought it would save my shoulder. The junky universal retractor doesn't like the shoulder loop and acts like a brake. So frustrating. I'm thinking of sending in my original seatbelts to get re-webbed with another company.

Thanks for the picture.

I see where the retractor is mounted & is there a bracket that comes with the kit? I've seen some belt kits that have a "drop down" piece that attaches to the mount on the roof rail. Does yours have that because it almost looks like the chest belt would come across your neck.

I bought 3 point belts from XV Motorsports. They have that drop down "sash" that does help align the belt to rest across the chest and not the neck.
You're tall so it isn't as much of an issue but the shorter people will still have some trouble with the belt near the neck.
The factory seat belts in the mid 70s Mopars had that drop down sash too. They really do help.

LR.jpg

XV here. Mixed results. Retractors don’t play well with late model seat trim. Retractor forced to angle back so it needs “help every time you try to stow it. A PIA. Unavoidable and no answers. Been in for ten years. Better than the factory 2 piece, and better than lap only.

Does anyone know if there is a factory shoulder belt anchor point in a ‘73 RR? If so where is it located?

Auto Transport Service
Back