• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

#3 Rod Bearing Noise

bama7

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
I got a mechanic friend to come check the noise coming from 1965 Sport Fury's 318 Poly engine. All indications is the #3 Piston Rod Bearing. Decisions will need to be made.

Luckily they're fairly solid engines. Find a cheap used one and drop it in.

Is this a new re-build or a used engine?

Take it apart and look at it.

I got a mechanic friend to come check the noise coming from 1965 Sport Fury's 318 Poly engine. All indications is the #3 Piston Rod Bearing. Decisions will need to be made.
A former colleague had a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 2 dr hard top with a poly 318 engine. The engine was prone to rod bearing failures. Specifically, #5 rod twice, #7 rod once, # 6 rod once. Each time the mains were OK. Each time the bearings were changed, adjusted to FSM clearances, the engine ran well....no noise, good oil pressure (~60#). The owner insisted on Quaker State 10W-30 HD oil. Ultimately, the problem was related to boundry lubrication failure and a partially occulded oil passage in the block due to crud in the drilled holes at the untersect point with main oil gallery......and some vigorous street competition.....Pennzoil 10W--30 HD oil seemed fix the issue....higher film strength at temperature.....more stable viscosity .....the engine ran approximately 30,000 more miles without difficulty......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Wrist pin noise is more like a double tap; brg noise is a deeper sound....

I have tried to post my video of the engine running, but something is apparently wrong with the format.

Turns out #7 rod bearing had spun on the crank journal. It stretched the rod cap and scored the journal. To make things a little worse, you could push the piston without any effort. The engine has been removed and replaced with a 318 LA motor from a 1974 Van. It is still a work in progress. Waiting for another throttle cable too.

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back