• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 car/truck motor

dan brooks

Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
I've been arguing with a friend of mine and figured I'd throw it out here.
I have a 69 383 truck short block, he says there's a difference between a 383 truck motor and a 383 car motor, I say there's no difference, the block and internals are all the same, what does everyone say here??? not counting the real early 361/383 motors built around 1960. Thanks.

I don't know about differences in truck motors and car motors, but I do know there was a 383 RB engine early on.

Not aware of differences in a 383. Possibly your friend is thinking of the 426 (heavy-trucks wedge) Commercial engine versus the 426 (common use) Wedge? Significant differences in the water pump/jacket/heads/block on those.

Just a thought.
M

I think the 2 barrel engines were 9-1 compression with a wimpy cam. So yes it won't be on par with a 383 R.R. engine.

Blocks the same, but through the years there were differences in cams, timing chain (roller chain in some HD), bearings etc.

Blocks the same, but through the years there were differences in cams, timing chain (roller chain in some HD), bearings etc.
Exactly! so you should be able to take a low compression block and supercharge it if you wanted. The block/crank is the same throughout right no matter if it's from a car or truck

Auto Transport Service
Back