• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 post master cut off swotch question

cbodybob

Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
I purchased the Taylor # 1033 master disconect switch to replace my 2 post switch. According to the dirrections in the package the alternator lead is for a maximum 20 amps. Clearly stated that on the schematic & in the directions. WTH? Who has a 20 amp alternator. Mine is a 60 amp. So my question is. Can I still use this? Is it safe to hook up to & run with a 60 amp alternator?

As long as the alt. Feeds the cars power supply and your not trying to charge a dead flat battery.. . If you're worried about it run an 8 gauge wire to the battery bypass that charging circuit

As long as the alt. Feeds the cars power supply and your not trying to charge a dead flat battery.. . If you're worried about it run an 8 gauge wire to the battery bypass that charging circuit

Yes I have an 8ga. wire from the alt post going back to the switch. Just wanted to make sure it was ok to hook it up since the directions clearly state 20 amp max. So if I am understanding what you are saying. My alt will only put out 20 amps or less, unless I have a very week batter. In which case it will exceed the 20 amps trying to charger the battery. Is that right? I dont want to fry my wiring or BBQ my car.

8 ga from alt to batt. By passes every thing. To charge battery dead or not. Takes load off everything else. Search some electrical threads on here and it can explain more... I add a lot of extra wire I dont need nessarily...

I ran the additional two posts to interrupt the field connection on the alternator (via a relay) instead of the battery lead. The goal is to have the car stop running when you hit the disconnect. If you don't kill the alternator, the car will keep running.

A 100 amp push pull swich also but relay is better... so many ways around it

Auto Transport Service
Back