• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi Crossram Engine Running Rough & Hesitates

jobenz

Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
Morning Boys, just purchased a 64 savoy with a 489 Hemi cross ram, 4235 & 4236 Holley's, 4 speed, Dana 60 that's running a little rough and cannot take off in first without it bucking wildly, runs great when I get it to rpm. does anybody know a hemi mechanic in the Northeast?? I'm in New Haven Connecticut.

Here's a thread on this. So anybody try a wideband O2 on a crossrammed Hemi yet?
1965 dogg.jpg

Has it been setting? It happened to one of my carbs in three short months

I dealt with a similar issue for a few years. 64 Sport Fury, Hemi w/cross ram, 770 cfm Holleys and a 5 speed TKO. I tried a myriad of things that improved the condition but still had the bucking at low speed (below 1800 rpm). My issue turned out to be the Mopar Electronic Ignition conversion kit I purchased in 2001. The distributor in the kit comes with very light advance springs which caused the mechanical advance weights to "bounce" at idle and low speed in-gear. I purchased a kit from Summit Racing with an assortment of advance springs and swapped in a set that slowed the mechanical advance down and problem solved. I offer this as a possible cause for your issue. My setup is all street. You posted in the Racer's Hangout. If your setup is for the track then my solution may not apply.

I'll trade you a real smooth running 440 for it! LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back