• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Tick

ToddMcF2002

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
My 440 has developed a tick and I’m not 100% sure it it’s a lifter issue. When I bump the motor and check each rocker with springs relaxed I really don’t see much of a variance in slop. I do have headers and I’m wondering if I’m confusing lifter noise with an exhaust leak? How should I proceed?

1E46DAD1-CF22-4CFE-B1E9-85E098497EB0.jpeg

If you can tell what side the tick is on and have checked pre load on the lifters. I would look real close at the header itself for a rust hole or crack.
Should see a carbon trail.
Also toss on a new header exhaust gasket. Pretty easy way to narrow it down.

Not low on oil? (Because that can do it)

If you think it may be an exhuast leak start it cold at idle and wave your hand close/around to all the exhaust ports.
You'll get 30-45 seconds before things get really hot so its a race against time.
But you can always let it cool and then start from where you left off.

It could also be the fuel pump pushrod that's been a common problem lately.

Hopefully not a bad cam lobe...:(

Good idea on the exhaust. But wouldn't I feel a bad lifter? I can pull the rail and inspect the lifters and the cam lobes. What am I looking for regarding the lifter though?

Good idea on the exhaust. But wouldn't I feel a bad lifter? I can pull the rail and inspect the lifters and the cam lobes. What am I looking for regarding the lifter though?
If you have ground down a lifter the rocker arm for that lobe will have more play than the rest.

I was chasing a ghost with an issue like this recently. In the process I did install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to verify oil pressure. And then ran the engine with the valve covers off to watch and feel the rockers while running. Used a cheap mechanics stethoscope from Harbor Freight to listen around before pulling things apart. Once eliminating it being an exhaust leak or valvetrain, further use of the stethoscope confirmed the noise was coming from the fuel pump. Removed it and found the fuel pump rocker arm broken off. Easy fix at that point. The noise it was making initially had myself and a bunch of fellas helping me on here thinking it was lifters or exhaust leak. You'll find the issue. Be patient. You're in good hands with the guys around you right now.

I put the valve cover back on and ran it. Can't isolate it and the headers heat up so fast its ridiculous. Going to get a stethoscope probably should have one anyway!

Look closely at the header to head gasket area for black soot from the exhaust.

I’m wondering if I’m confusing lifter noise with an exhaust leak?

I did so it's quite possible that you do to.

After pulling the valve cover and finding nothing - just like you - i grabbed a POTENT smoke machine (the predecessor to this one: Captain D. | smoke-factory.de) and flooded the exhaust pipe with smoke.
It showed a leak which i then fixed and goodbye noise.

this is to eliminate the possibility of it being a header gasket leak. Disconnect one spark plug wire at a time. If it is a gasket leak as soon as you take away combustion the sound will change dramatically or disappear completely. You can do it at the distributor cap to make it easier, if you have an extra plug wire just ground it so you dont get zapped.

You can go old school and use a long screwdriver or socket extension held to your ear to listen for noises. Word of caution, this can be very dangerous with running engine and fan belts, so be careful.

A lot of the time an exhaust leak tick goes away as the motor heats up and the gap closes. But sometimes, depending on the gasket type, a piece of the gasket will get broken out and blown out and that tick will stay there. With a strong light though, you may be able to see a carbon track from the leak on the head.

Warm up the engine. Remove a valve cover. Lay out plenty of rag. Use some leather gardening gloves. Idle the engine & put your fingers on each rocker arm. Listen for a change in noise or noise stopping.

I have welcome news. Plug boot 5 was loose. Stethoscope was useful. I though it was cylinder 7 but when I pulled that boot it only got louder. Checked #5 boot seating and it went away. So... this isn't the first time these MSD 8.5MM Superconductor boots have disconnected. Cylinder 7 wire fell off completely a few weeks back now cylinder 5 is partially backing out. Should I just try tightening the crimp? The Dielectric Grease I used making the wires may not be helping things here either. Thoughts?

China strikes again. Posted video under electrical / ignition because the issue really belongs there. At least my GTX isn't hurt.

Auto Transport Service
Back