• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 reliability issues?

That’s for a 6.1.

Been putting 0-30 Synthetic in MDS for years. Like it. Purrs.

I have a 2003 5.7 Ram. I had three valve springs break at about 170,000 miles. I have 245, 000 on it now and counting. My 2006 Charger R/T has 145,000 miles and so far no troubles. The 2003-2008 heads can drop valve seats. Normally this happens when the engines get too hot. Aluminum expands faster than steel and the steel seats fall out. The Eagle heads fixed this problem. Those engines have been plagued by cam and lifter failures. I think it is related to the VVT and MDS system. They've also had timing chain and tensioner trouble for roughly 2008-2015. I've been told all issues have been finally fixed with that. If you're junkyard scavenging, I would look for an early truck and then find a later 5.7 to swipe the Eagle heads off of, change the heads, put new timing gear on it and a good aftermarket cam. It'll up your compression a little too. There's a guy fairly local to me that does this routinely and swears by them. I haven't tried it myself. YMMV.

I had a 2006 ram with a 5.7 put 225,000+ miles on it before trading in on a new Ram in 2016.
With the 2006, performed all the basic and routine maintenance at the recommended intervals and had NO engine problems - Ever
The main problem that happened several times witj that truck was worn out front wheel bearings. Had two sets replaced under warranty and then again after it was out of warranty. The sealed design on the wheel bearing was junk !!

The 2016 already has 110,000 miles and the only issue was a leaking intake gasket which was replaced under warranty.

Auto Transport Service
Back