• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.9 magum engine swap

I've read some online articles in the past, where converting stock modern 5.9 roller camshaft engine with a intake and carb, would gain 50 to 100 horsepower over the stock oem fuel injection.

Hi everyone I'm trying to figure out my engine and trans swap. The motor I have is from a 98 1500 with the 5.9 magnum. The trans is from a 94 1500. I currently have the wiring harness and pcm from the 98 but with the 46rh not being electronic shifting and stuff do I need to go get a 95 and down harness are pcm to run the transmission? I have the correct wires I clipped off a 94 to run the correct plugs on the trans can I just crimp the wires onto the same color wires on the 98s harness and it work.

Some tips I can give from owning a 2001 Dakota RT with the 5.9 Magnum for 12 years...stay away from the 46re trans, I went through 3 of them all under warranty. Several other Dakota RT friends had similar issues. Tech said 46rh/727 adapted for the electronics had issues holding up under the increased line pressures.
The stock Magnum heads were prone to cracking, not at an alarming rate, but I swapped mine out to aftermarket at 20k miles.

:VB toast: im glad you said it before I could! The answers were scaring me lol.

But yeah its as simple as a stock harness, ecu and engine. If the ecu is from a electronic trans just use the electronic trans it prevents any limp mode problems. The only real hurdle is upgrading the fuel system for efi.
I have a 98 magnum motor and pcm for the same year. The trans I have is from a 94 would the 98s pcm run the trans after I had it flashed or do I need to get a 95 and downs pcm?

I did this swap in my barracuda. I bought a 1996 dodge ram truck with bad trans, rebuilt the 46RE, engine and used the wire harness from the truck. I got a wire diagram of the 1996 truck and wired it up as the truck, I added a/c and tied it into the pcm for idle control. I had to swap speedo gears to make the pcm shift into OD at correct speed. The swap was not hard, you need the correct wire diagram to do it. I had a 355 SG and the 5.9 was okay, I went to a 373 SG and boy that woke up that 5.9.
I now have a 5.7 hemi swap in my barracuda and I am waiting to find another car to swap the 5.9 into.
If you go with a 46RH there are several choices to make.
I used the pcm to control alternator charging. In my swap the pcm did not know it was in a old 68 Barracuda.
100_2221.JPG

did anyone say-

magnumswaps.com

?

I've read some online articles in the past, where converting stock modern 5.9 roller camshaft engine with a intake and carb, would gain 50 to 100 horsepower over the stock oem fuel injection.
So why did the 318 gain 80 HP or so with the addition of port injection and Magnum heads? Heck, the 3.9 V6 out powered the 90 318.

Better heads, lower friction, more efficient cam, better heat dissipation, better balance, MUCH better exhaust...among other things.

In my experience the 3.9 was kind of a hit or miss engine.
We've had quite a few in our family along with many Dakotas and Durango's with various engines.
A few of the 3.9's felt almost as strong as a 318/5.2 but most did not.
The early 5.2 (1991/92) felt almost as strong as the 5.9.

Uh....ya missed the point.
And the 91 used TBI, the 92 was port/magnum. The 92 having much more power.

Auto Transport Service
Back